Tapping Fixture

I picked up an old Craftsman hand drill motor stand/press at the swap meet for $5 missing most parts. I just used the pedestal and upright with a AL block with a 3/4" rod thru it to make mine. Works great for getting em started at 90 degrees.

Not finished but usable. I made decisions on material at hand & may make some changes/improvements when I have the right stock.

The arm I made in 2 pieces because I thought the main portion of it was too thin to be real rigid on the round post. If it were one piece I would have more adjustment in the sliding bushing.

The round post makes it radial and is convenient as I was able to use it to tap holes in the base after assembly. It also allows for height adjustment.

The driving rod is a really long 3/8 extension that works well for now but may be upgraded later. Right now the wheel is just sitting there for mockup, I actually used a breaker bar to drive it while tapping the holes in the base.

I was going to mill out a section in the center for the tap to go all the way through but instead the part will lay on 2 parallels.

Tapping fixture (1).JPG Tapping fixture (2).JPG Tapping fixture (3).JPG Tapping fixture (4).JPG Tapping fixture (5).JPG Tapping fixture (6).JPG Tapping fixture (7).JPG Tapping fixture (8).JPG Tapping fixture (9).JPG Tapping fixture (10).JPG Tapping fixture (11).JPG Tapping fixture (12).JPG Tapping fixture (13).JPG

Was gonna post some more pictures of it in use & other additions I made but I see it would be useless and not gonna waste my time.

Was gonna post some more pictures of it in use & other additions I made but I see it would be useless and not gonna waste my time.

I know what you mean, But a good job anyhoo, I was going to build one but I got one from ENCO instead.

Paul

Please share Charley as I do not have a tapping fixture yet. I need ideas as well.

David

Here are some tapping fixtures for my tapper.

Right fixture has internal slot that fits slot of small holder.

Got numerous small holders for taps.

The big holder fits drill press, lathe, tapper.

The assembly sort of F L O A T S, when tapping.

Charl

tapaa.JPG tapbb.JPG

Back