Technology knows no bounds

Some time in the mid to late 80's we got our first hard drives. Two wapping 100 mb units housed in a rack mount that took two people to lift into position. Remember thinking, what will we do with all this storage. Up till then it was all 3/4 tape and 3m data cassettes.
Back then it was XJ mobiles, key the mic, the operator would come on, you gave her your XJ number and the phone number you wanted. They operated on vhf frequencies, some provinces you could hear one side of other peoples conversations, others both sides.
About the same time as the hard drives, we got two way satellite systems to transmit data from the field. About a 5 foot dish with a transponder the size of a cooler. You could use it as a phone as well, with a 2 second lag as your voice was digitized bounced off a satellite to our ground station in Denver, that was a huge dish, 30 or 40 foot as I remember, then back to a land line.
Our first interface to the computer used thermal paper to display what you typed and the response back from the mobile main frame. Computers made by Digital, PDP 1134's. Then we got a suitcase computer with an orange monochrome display to act as an interface.
But that was a huge set forward from totally analog measurements with data displayed on rolls of Kodak film 8 inches wide in 100 foot rolls. The recorder was a massive camera that used galvanometers with mirrors attached to sweep a light beam across the film. They were a marvel of mechanical ingenuity.
Yah, we've come a long way baby.

Greg

Yup. My kids found an old rock 8 track (Rush, a farewell to kings) I had in a box. They couldn't understand how something that big could only hold a few songs. I told them "yea, but it least the sound was horrible and you had to jam paper in the top to get the head to line up." My son said "Who's head?"
That's funny! I still have some 8 track tapes hanging around somewhere in my junk piles. They were "hot stuff" in the 60's, 70's. Now
you can get all kinds of oldies on your phone and Bluetooth them in your car. Amazing time we live in!

Yup. My kids found an old rock 8 track (Rush, a farewell to kings) I had in a box. They couldn't understand how something that big could only hold a few songs. I told them "yea, but it least the sound was horrible and you had to jam paper in the top to get the head to line up." My son said "Who's head?"

Omg. I totally forgot about having to jam paper in there to wedge into place. Usually pieces of a cereal box did the trick.

My Dad would let me use his 8-track in his shop in the late seventies/early eighties. I was six or seven. First time I heard Styx, Kiss, Journey and Led Zeppelin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow, that looks like a 1950's Flash Gordon type Space Craft! First puter I ever had used the 5" floppies, and the 1.44's. I use the 1.44's in my 2007 Haas, and for writing programs for it on my Windows 7 puter. Could upgrade to the thumb drive, but for as often as I do a new program, the 1.44's work fine. Getting hard to find I'm told, so I stocked up on a few.
If you run out, I've got more than 150 of them.

Here's a small comparison on some computer tech....
1990 Seagate ST251-1 hard drive vs a run of the mill little 16GB micro SD card like in your phone. There are much higher capacity and speedier versions of these card.

Micro SD card 372x more storage, 1440x faster, 1/100 of the cost in a package that's 1/9333 of the size.

hd.jpg

My 24 year old, about 10 years ago, was going through some old boxes. He grabbed a handful of 1.44MB floppy disks:

"What are these?"
I kept my first office computer. An Epson running Lotus 123, two 5" floppy drives with a 9" green screen monitor.

Do you ever just stop and think how the world has changed in just the past 20 years?
I'm bored. I'm at work with nothing to do. 13 days left.

I'm going through my drawers and files.
Look what I found!! These were state of the art for about a week and a half.
Remember the 56K modem? dial up!!
Heck, we get over 400MBPS and a short few years ago we were waiting for pages to download forever it seemed.
Where are we going to be in another 20 years?
Banana phone...

I serviced those back in the day.

Case screws were left handed so the spacers inside would not attach to the screw.

Kept folks out too.

Sent from my SM-G781V using Tapatalk

Don't knock the 56k!

15 years ago I setup a remote weather station and usb camera at a friend's mountain home so they could monitor the weather conditions and driveway. Broadband only became available a few years ago. The system has dailed into a ftp site every hour to upload a photo and weather data for the last 15 years without fail.

Even more suprising is the system was built on a 5 year old used HP PC running win xp that has run 24/7 for almost 20 years.

I recently asked if they wanted to update the system to take advantage of broadband but they declined stating why mess with what's working.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

My first computer programming job (1966), the source code was fed into the computer (a Digital Equipment Corp. PDP-8) via paper tape on a Teletype ASR-33. It's truly astounding how things have advanced throughout my 50+ years in high tech. And stil, I look at the Norton gearbox on my PM-1340 lathe, or the J-head on my nearly new mill, and marvel at how some things have remained the same.

g8qol7m4pbsgescsrpqa.jpg

Back