Tell me about mist coolant systems (and alternatives)...

GeneT45

Registered
Registered
So I've been thinking that I'd like to try some kind of automatic coolant system. I'd love something that puts coolant where I want and doesn't create a lot of aerosol. (Also I'd like it to cool, instantly, to room temperature, cost nothing, run on explitives, and produce gold as a byproduct of use... ;-) ) Y'all (at least those of you with some sort of coolant system) understand the trade-offs.

So, whatcha got and whatcha recommend?

TIA,

GsT

Edit: fingers can't keep up with thoughts...

So I've been thinking that I'd like to try some kind of automatic coolant system. I'd love something that puts coolant where I want and doesn't create a lot of aerosol. (Also I'd like it to cool, instantly, to room temperature, cost nothing, run on explitives, and produce gold as a byproduct of use... ;-) ) Y'all (at least those of you with some sort of coolant system) understand the trade-offs.

So, whatcha got and whatcha recommend?

TIA,

GsT

Edit: fingers can't keep up with thoughts...
I have a flood coolant system on my lathe, came with it, creates a mess alllllll over the garage. I am installing a mist system like the system I put on the mill, bout from amazon 30 bucks. I had been using this mist system on the mill driving it with air from the big compressor which is overkill and LOUD VERY LOUD.... then I had a thought (Yep, it hurt) Harbor freight sells this little compressor for air brushes for about 80 bucks, quiet and perfect flow and pressure so I bought one, still need to mount it in its final location but it works well and it whisper quiet. The mist cooler I bought has adjustments for air flow and coolant flow which allows me to control droplet size and aerosol management...

Alternatives often require air/compressor to pressurize the delivery system. Also depends on the application if this is for a mill or a lathe. Various coolants available, I use a water soluble oil emulsion solution which works on a wide range of materials, my primary concern was improved cutting performance, minimizing rust and low volume. A Fogbuster type system works on low pressure for both air and fluid lines so the end result is more spitting fluid as apposed to aerosolization. I made my own system and both lines have separate pressure regulators and solenoid valves. There are also separate needle valves to set the flow, I run very low pressures these days. Cost to make your own system is probably under $100. Alternative is below. At one point I tried Kool Mist solution in my bandsaw but had a lot of rust as well as going bad in the tank.

Attachments

• Pressurized Air and Coolant System with Solenoids.pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 18
Alternatives often require air/compressor to pressurize the delivery system. Also depends on the application if this is for a mill or a lathe. Various coolants available, I use a water soluble oil emulsion solution which works on a wide range of materials, my primary concern was improved cutting performance, minimizing rust and low volume. A Fogbuster type system works on low pressure for both air and fluid lines so the end result is more spitting fluid as apposed to aerosolization. I made my own system and both lines have separate pressure regulators and solenoid valves. There are also separate needle valves to set the flow, I run very low pressures these days. Cost to make your own system is probably under $100. Alternative is below. At one point I tried Kool Mist solution in my bandsaw but had a lot of rust as well as going bad in the tank.

Wow! Thanks for that! I'm thinking mostly of the mill at this point, but I s'pose if I love it I'd do the same thing on the lathe. This is likely what I'm looking for.

Thanks again!

GsT

I too use the soluble oil emulsion solution, I bought it for the flood system but now use it for the mist system, wouldn't use anything else, with you 100% on that.

I started with a Kool mist, but then modified the sprayer and manifold for a Fog Buster style system instead (homegrown) Works much better. If it's tuned right, the part appears to stay dry while turning, but it's not.

Anyone care to share their favorite soluble oil brand/supplier?
I'll want a gallon at most, a quart would get me started. To avoid big shipping charges, something sold in Seattle would be most excellent unless someone knowss a reseller with free shipping?
I use HSS cutters most often with occasional carbide. Small/old/clapped-out mill and lathe. Have only used cutting oil applied with a brush or squeeze bottle until now. Leaning toward the LubeCube (thanks @mksj!)
I have a small air compressor that lives next to the mill already.

Thanks,
Mark

Koolmist with the cheapo air nozzles. It works well for me overall. Decent cooling, while still keeping the mess down. I already had air there, as I use it for chip removal sometimes.

Back