Tell me about mist coolant systems (and alternatives)...

My set up. Nice and portable between machines. Since the Noga is magnetic you can stick it about anywhere.
mister.jpg
mister2.jpg

I like my dental sprayers... drip is one button, oil mist is both buttons

Sent from my SM-S911U using Tapatalk

Koolmist 77 and distilled water, at the recommended concentration has worked great for me. No rust or rancidity issues. Delivered via misters on the surface grinder, and bandsaw. Had a Lube Cube on my mill, and it worked great as well ( have since sold the mill ). I'd buy one again for sure.

Anyone care to share their favorite soluble oil brand/supplier?
I'll want a gallon at most, a quart would get me started. To avoid big shipping charges, something sold in Seattle would be most excellent unless someone knowss a reseller with free shipping?
I use HSS cutters most often with occasional carbide. Small/old/clapped-out mill and lathe. Have only used cutting oil applied with a brush or squeeze bottle until now. Leaning toward the LubeCube (thanks @mksj!)
I have a small air compressor that lives next to the mill already.

Thanks,
Mark
I have tried several, My favorite is "Metal Working Fluids, TRIM MicroSol 685", I bought it for the flood cooling and it works well in my mist system.

Alternatives often require air/compressor to pressurize the delivery system. Also depends on the application if this is for a mill or a lathe. Various coolants available, I use a water soluble oil emulsion solution which works on a wide range of materials, my primary concern was improved cutting performance, minimizing rust and low volume. A Fogbuster type system works on low pressure for both air and fluid lines so the end result is more spitting fluid as apposed to aerosolization. I made my own system and both lines have separate pressure regulators and solenoid valves. There are also separate needle valves to set the flow, I run very low pressures these days. Cost to make your own system is probably under $100. Alternative is below. At one point I tried Kool Mist solution in my bandsaw but had a lot of rust as well as going bad in the tank.

Many thanks for the stupdisimpletools link. I found two (2) and probably more to come, additions to my shop. They have some well thought out and designed tools on the site.

Back