Tell Me About My Antique Watchmakers Lathe

Jcl,

So basically you're saying my lathe is Frankenstein's monster. I think I love it even more now. Definitely one of a kind!

Thank you for taking the time to share all of that great info! It's no wonder why a layman like myself had such a hard time trying to identify it. I don't feel so bad now!

I've been around modern machine tools for the better part of my life, but it wasn't until 5 or so years ago that I was able to start building a shop of my own, and became interested in smaller machines.

Say I wanted to get it running. Anybody have motor recommendations (hp, rpm, brand, etc)?

The slide attaches the same way the mandrels do. The bar is 1.075" tall by 0.605" thick.
f643b21a4a0f7a180f18d264d0380e39.jpg

I'd definitely like to see any pictures you'd want to show us. Just no nude ones.
Hopefully some others will express interest as well.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk

My G Boley watchmaker lathe has a 1/10 hp dc reversible watchcraft motor. You can also use motor for a sewing machine. Here is a link to see mine.
http://www.Hobby-Machinist.com/index.php?threads/34088/
I use a long rubber o ring for drive belt. I did buy weldable hard rubber round belt for my lathe that I will use when I set it up on a better base.
Jack

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

O.K. Guys. I have wasted several hours trying to provide information for this thread. I took photos, I wrote almost 750 words of text, and the whole thing resides in my computer as a "Word" file (MS Word. doc for Mac). I can't seem to post it. I have tried copy and paste, I have tried upload a file, and I have tried more other things than I can remember. They don't work. If anyone can tell me how to paste my file so that you can see it, I will try. Otherwise, "fageddaboudit!" Jcl

Hi Jcl,

The attachment "lathes.doc" is readable on my computer. Thanks for posting it.

Steve

Here is the contents of Jcl's word document. The pictures might have been re-sized. I posted each as a screen capture. Let's hope it works.

Steve

Jake,

I would not call your interesting lathe “Frankenstein’s Monster”, possibly Rosemary’s baby, but hardly a monster. It has more historical than practical value, but it is still functional and usable for certain operations, especially for watchmakers. With later pictures you have posted I see how the slide rest is attached to your lathe. There has been some skillful work adapting a slide with a T slot to a square mount on your lathe. I have no idea when that was done, but it is an adaptation I believe, without seeing all of this first hand, you understand.

I said I would show some pictures of both ancestors and descendants of your lathe. This will be my first attempt to post pictures to this list. Let’s see what happens:

The first picture is of a 19th C. Swiss turns. I have shown it with a bow resting against it. This one has unusual runners because the center on he right runner is off center, and the other has what looks like a triangle on its end. This turns was for especially delicate watch arbors, and each corner of the triangle had a different size hole to fit a different size pivot on a watch wheel.

upload_2016-4-14_17-46-40.png

As I explained in an earlier post, a tiny pulley would be attached to the work, the horse hair or, here, fish line was wrapped around the pulley so that the work rotated forward then back. Part of the skill was to match the rhythm of the bow with the action applied to the work.

The next picture is a nearly traditional Swiss Mandrel lathe. A watch plate would be mounted to the face plate, and the slide rest or a hand-held graver resting on the T rest could make a recess on the plate, or bore a hole for a jewel or bearing. The late Ted Crom, who was an authority on early watchmaker’s tools, said that the lathe in this picture is the only one he ever saw where the slide rest used a sector of a worm wheel instead of a flat slide as a cross slide. Some mandrel lathes came equipped with a tailstock, but so few have them that it is reasonable to assume that the tailstock would be an extra attachment. A tailstock would actually be of little use on a mandrel lathe.

upload_2016-4-14_17-47-3.png

upload_2016-4-14_17-47-36.png

Below you see a modern faceplate headstock for a watchmaker’s lathe. The face plate is permanently attached to a dedicated headstock; it cannot be removed. Consequently it’s accuracy cannot be disturbed (except by an accident). It is used the same way a Swiss mandrel lathe would be used. Also mounted on the lathe bed is what is called a jewelling tailstock. Simply explained, because the spindle that would hold a boring tool is half the distance from the hinge at the base of the tool, to a table seen at the top of the tool, a watch jewel could be set on that table, and the boring tool would open a hole in a watch plate the right diameter for the jewel to be fitted into the watch plate. At half the distance from hinge to table the boring bar was cutting half the diameter of the jewel: the radius. You may have to think about the device for a minute, and its effectiveness does depended entirely on having the tool carefully adjusted.

upload_2016-4-14_17-47-56.png

Finally, below is an image of an 18th C. English “Throw.” It is more common to clockmakers than watchmakers but it was used by both. Think of it as a very early bench lathe. The image shown is courtesy of the Willard House and Clock Museum, Grafton, Mass. where there is an extensive collection of early horological tools. As with the turns, most work was done between centers, usually with tools resting on a T rest. Note the wear on the T rest. This tool seems to have some mileage on it. In the lower left of that picture I notice you can see the right side of an English turns. It was not as elegant as the Swiss turns of the same era, but equally functional.

upload_2016-4-14_17-49-47.png

This response is long, and I apologize for some of the bad pictures, taken “last minute”, but I hope it is helpful. Jcl

Here is the contents of Jcl's word document. The pictures might have been re-sized. I posted each as a screen capture. Let's hope it works.

Steve

Jake,

I would not call your interesting lathe “Frankenstein’s Monster”, possibly Rosemary’s baby, but hardly a monster. It has more historical than practical value, but it is still functional and usable for certain operations, especially for watchmakers. With later pictures you have posted I see how the slide rest is attached to your lathe. There has been some skillful work adapting a slide with a T slot to a square mount on your lathe. I have no idea when that was done, but it is an adaptation I believe, without seeing all of this first hand, you understand.

I said I would show some pictures of both ancestors and descendants of your lathe. This will be my first attempt to post pictures to this list. Let’s see what happens:

The first picture is of a 19th C. Swiss turns. I have shown it with a bow resting against it. This one has unusual runners because the center on he right runner is off center, and the other has what looks like a triangle on its end. This turns was for especially delicate watch arbors, and each corner of the triangle had a different size hole to fit a different size pivot on a watch wheel.

View attachment 127065

As I explained in an earlier post, a tiny pulley would be attached to the work, the horse hair or, here, fish line was wrapped around the pulley so that the work rotated forward then back. Part of the skill was to match the rhythm of the bow with the action applied to the work.

The next picture is a nearly traditional Swiss Mandrel lathe. A watch plate would be mounted to the face plate, and the slide rest or a hand-held graver resting on the T rest could make a recess on the plate, or bore a hole for a jewel or bearing. The late Ted Crom, who was an authority on early watchmaker’s tools, said that the lathe in this picture is the only one he ever saw where the slide rest used a sector of a worm wheel instead of a flat slide as a cross slide. Some mandrel lathes came equipped with a tailstock, but so few have them that it is reasonable to assume that the tailstock would be an extra attachment. A tailstock would actually be of little use on a mandrel lathe.

View attachment 127066

View attachment 127067

Below you see a modern faceplate headstock for a watchmaker’s lathe. The face plate is permanently attached to a dedicated headstock; it cannot be removed. Consequently it’s accuracy cannot be disturbed (except by an accident). It is used the same way a Swiss mandrel lathe would be used. Also mounted on the lathe bed is what is called a jewelling tailstock. Simply explained, because the spindle that would hold a boring tool is half the distance from the hinge at the base of the tool, to a table seen at the top of the tool, a watch jewel could be set on that table, and the boring tool would open a hole in a watch plate the right diameter for the jewel to be fitted into the watch plate. At half the distance from hinge to table the boring bar was cutting half the diameter of the jewel: the radius. You may have to think about the device for a minute, and its effectiveness does depended entirely on having the tool carefully adjusted.

View attachment 127068

Finally, below is an image of an 18th C. English “Throw.” It is more common to clockmakers than watchmakers but it was used by both. Think of it as a very early bench lathe. The image shown is courtesy of the Willard House and Clock Museum, Grafton, Mass. where there is an extensive collection of early horological tools. As with the turns, most work was done between centers, usually with tools resting on a T rest. Note the wear on the T rest. This tool seems to have some mileage on it. In the lower left of that picture I notice you can see the right side of an English turns. It was not as elegant as the Swiss turns of the same era, but equally functional.

View attachment 127069

This response is long, and I apologize for some of the bad pictures, taken “last minute”, but I hope it is helpful. Jcl

Steve,

Thanks for doing my job for me. I am new to a "Mac" and it is a rather steep learning curve for me. I have been confined this winter, but with spring, I expect to take some of the courses Apple offers to neophytes like me. I appreciate you help getting my message posted. Jcl

No problem, Jcl. You did all the heavy lifting. All I did was the final push. :)

I wonder if I would have the patience to build a watch using a bow turns lathe. Those guys were true craftsmen.

Steve

@Jcl,

I was able to download and read your Word document too.
Thanks for the effort of compiling all that info!
It is very much appreciate. :encourage:

-brino

Back