The New South Bend 10K

image.gif I hate to keep slamming this machine , but it really looks nothing like a Southbend. This is a Logan lathe.

Last edited:
View attachment 124117 I hate to keep slamming this machine , but it really looks nothing like a Southbend. This is a Logun lathe.

First of all it's spelled Logan.

Second of all if you looked at the details of the machine currently sold as the 10K you would have noticed that the apron details look much more like the old 10K than this Logan. Plus this latest iteration has a cam lock spindle nose which the Logan you show does not. In any case your point is?

David

He's a SB snob? Where are the moderators when you need one? ;)

It's all in the look. If your gonna say that it something, it should be

Last edited:
First, Are the images in the post above visible to other users? They are no longer visible to me. Google seems to be changing the links?

Second, what is up with this:
Please note- "Don't switch to A,B, and C position when spindle speed is higher than 320 RPM. The problem with that is that the power cross feed is incredibly slow if you don't switch to at least C. Is this an issue on older SBs? Comments?
R

Last edited:
Yes, cross feed is too slow on D and E on my 9A and it is backwards IMO. It feeds inside to outside when long feed is in normal (right to left) setting. I wouldn't be changing gears when the spindle is turning, while it is possible (like shifting without a clutch) you do risk damaging the QCGB.

Back