The Weather Man Was Wrong Again!

Weatherman on the surface sounds like a good job. You can be wrong 90% of time and still have a job. Plus people still check your opinion for the next day no matter how bad you failed over the last day, week or month. Get paid 6 figures get your information from the national weather service and put your spin on it.

Chance of rain, partly cloudy, chance of snow etc. Hmmm.

Weatherman on the surface sounds like a good job. You can be wrong 90% of time and still have a job. Plus people still check your opinion for the next day no matter how bad you failed over the last day, week or month. Get paid 6 figures get your information from the national weather service and put your spin on it.

Chance of rain, partly cloudy, chance of snow etc. Hmmm.
I once had a friend tell me that if you are going to be a doctor, be a dermatologist. Is your skin dry and itchy? Put some cream on it. Do you have a rash? Put some cream on it. Is your skin too oily? I think a cream will fix that.
No disrespect to any dermatologists out there. ;)

That is surprising. Unless it was a C-210 with a turbo, it wouldn't get to 20k without a lot of struggling, especially carrying a load.
Most of their seeding is done in what I would call light twins, such as Piper Seneca II, Piper Navajos, and King Airs. Years ago, they used to use Piper Aztecs (we called them Aztrucks because they could haul a lot).
I have a fair amount of time in Navajos and I sure liked that airplane, much better than any of the Senecas.
Sidebar: I did do any flying for UND nor did I attend school there.
You guessed it, Cessna T210K, turbo, with a service ceiling of 24,000 and a pretty good useful load. Nice plane. I rarely flew above 16,000, but the mid teens was a good cruising altitude. Don't know anything about cloud seeding but it still seemed to be on the light side for flying into anything likely to carry significant moisture and related chance of convection and icing.

Got a commercial/instrument twin rating in a Beechcraft Duchess, but no real experience in twins. I think the King Airs are turbo-props?

Last edited:
I once had a friend tell me that if you are going to be a doctor, be a dermatologist. Is your skin dry and itchy? Put some cream on it. Do you have a rash? Put some cream on it. Is your skin too oily? I think a cream will fix that.
No disrespect to any dermatologists out there. ;)
"If it's dry, wet it. If it's wet, dry it." is the abbreviated version that I've heard of that one.

San Diego county here. Our Sunday forecast was 100% spot on.
Forecast said rain in the morning clearing by 10, windy and sun afterwards.
At 7 in the morning it was raining gently and the radar map showed that the rain should clear from an area we wanted to hike by 10.
Got to the trail head about 9:15 and it was raining lightly at about 45f. After a half hour of hiking rain stopped, shortly after the clouds started breaking up. Rest of the hike was delightful and the water falls were flowing nicely.

Got a commercial/instrument twin rating in a Beechcraft Duchess, but no real experience in twins. I think the King Airs are turbo-props?
I got my twin rating in a Duchess too! It was in the middle of winter in St. Paul, MN. They had to push my checkride back by two weeks because the temps were way below zero, and they didn't want to crack cylinders when the throttles were pulled back.
Yep, the King Air is a turbo-prop. Beautiful flying aircraft.

Forecast was heavy rain followed by a couple inches of snow.

The view this morning from my front door.

View attachment 489065

I took the chains and plow off the truck a month ago, dammit!
After living in Lake Tahoe for five years I know what a long winter is.
The last thing you want to see is snow in May!

That was one heck of a storm!! We had thunder and lightning galore Saturday afternoon with one clap that sounded like a 12 gauge went off next to my ear.

Back