The Weather Man Was Wrong Again!

Forecast was heavy rain followed by a couple inches of snow.

The view this morning from my front door.

View attachment 489065

I took the chains and plow off the truck a month ago, dammit!
It will melt just get cup of coffee ☕ and sit in font fireplace and injoy the nice view.

All I getting is sunshine ☀ till December. No fireplace to burn

Dave

It will melt just get cup of coffee ☕ and sit in font fireplace and injoy the nice view.
That's what I tell people when they talk about shoveling snow.
"Don't be a fool, it will melt all on its own."

I did shovel just enough to get down the front steps, but that's it!

They use silver oxide to seed the raindrop, theorizing that the water molecules will collect on the silver oxide, thus promoting further development of the raindrop. Like anything, if you get exposed to too much of anything it is bad for you, but I consider this to be about as harmful as the glasses on my nose. They have been doing this for many, many years. Maybe John (@pontiac428 ) will chime in with his thoughts.

It's potassium iodide. It can be dispersed in smoke pots, by rocket, or by duster. Nucleation takes very little for what you get out of it. If you wear a tin foil hat, it's something to talk about if you need a break from discussing the smoke from the grassy knoll- until you realize it could have been a cloud seeding operation, then you are right back on track again.

It's potassium iodide. It can be dispersed in smoke pots, by rocket, or by duster. Nucleation takes very little for what you get out of it. If you wear a tin foil hat, it's something to talk about if you need a break from discussing the smoke from the grassy knoll- until you realize it could have been a cloud seeding operation, then you are right back on track again.
Silver Iodide. Artificial rain is produced by seeding clouds with Silver Iodide. Cloud seeding is the process of making precipitation fall using substances like dry ice, and silver iodide.

From Google.

I remembered it being silver something. I guess they use Potassium Iodide also.

Silver Iodide. Artificial rain is produced by seeding clouds with Silver Iodide. Cloud seeding is the process of making precipitation fall using substances like dry ice, and silver iodide.

From Google.

I remembered it being silver something. I guess they use Potassium Iodide also.
It's potassium out west because silver (like copper) are extremely effective biocides- especially in aquatics, but to fungi too. KI is more inert, but there is argument over its use as well.

The only reason I knew about them using silver is I was looking at the UT budget last year and I saw where they increased the cloud seeding budget from 350k to several million so it piqued my interest in the whole thing. They have a lot of ground mounted launchers and they have planes with sprayers of some kind that almost look like a 2 stroke muffler.

Are you involved in this stuff John?

Huh. I just checked the Desert Research Institute and they are using silver. It was a contentious issue at one point. It's been 15 years since I had any involvement in environmental. I do use some of my schooling in atmospherics, but I focus on particulates and vapors generated much, much closer to the mouth and nose to earn my pay!

I had a single engine Cessna that had been used at one time for cloud seeding. Somehow flying a light plane to 20,000 feet to fly through large moisture laiden clouds in possible icing conditions didn’t sound too intelligent. Generally those things are discouraged in pilot training.

I had a single engine Cessna that had been used at one time for cloud seeding. Somehow flying a light plane to 20,000 feet to fly through large moisture laiden clouds in possible icing conditions didn’t sound too intelligent. Generally those things are discouraged in pilot training.
That is surprising. Unless it was a C-210 with a turbo, it wouldn't get to 20k without a lot of struggling, especially carrying a load.
Most of their seeding is done in what I would call light twins, such as Piper Seneca II, Piper Navajos, and King Airs. Years ago, they used to use Piper Aztecs (we called them Aztrucks because they could haul a lot).
I have a fair amount of time in Navajos and I sure liked that airplane, much better than any of the Senecas.
Sidebar: I did do any flying for UND nor did I attend school there.

Back