This logan is on CL now...Opinions of it?

From the photos I can see that it has endured a few minor mishaps on the ways, which is somewhat common. It also has or had a taper attachment, as the cross slide is that type, but the part that fastens to the rear of the bed appears to be missing. I see only a three jaw chuck, probably a 6", but no sign of the outside set of jaws for that chuck. It does have a dog drive plate, but I see no dogs, no centers, and no four jaw chuck. I also do not see the spanner wrench for tightening or loosening the spindle collar.

Without a closer inspection, I cannot say for certain if the price is good or not, but from what I see so far I would start at $1000 cash and he throws in the second motor. You could work up from there if necessary. If he really wants to keep the second motor, you can always put a VFD on instead.

I'm stunned that you found something on Portland's craigslist that wasn't over priced 250%. I can't speak to the price or lathe quality but it does look like a project. Near term are you looking for a project or a lathe? I restored a 1950's machine last year, it turned out to be a money pit.

My Rockwell 11 is a money pit but I think I will have an awesome lathe that taught me a lot about rebuilding machines like scraping in the crossfeed, carriage and compound rest. I am also going to install a name brand DRO and optionalize it to the maximum I can. I now have the tools to rebuild almost any small lathe and would love to build a grinder from my old bed to make some special tooling that is 48" long. It maybe fund to make a special machine to do odd jobs for a custom tool. Tim

If you want a runner, buy one that you know runs well, if not expect to do some things to it so it can be what you want. Tim

I see the mishaps on the ways, and some wear and tear pretty much everywhere. I also saw the taper attachment, but like you didn't see that it was hooked up or had the rest of the parts for it included.

I've not even seen a Logan in person before. Heard about them being mentioned many times, but that's about all. I do like it that it's a QC gearbox, and from this http://www.lathe.com/models.htm I see it's a 1 3/8" spindle bore, variable speed drive. and weighs 1080lb. I've found this brochure online about it. http://www.sterlingmachinery.com/db-files/logan lathe brochure.pdf

I don't know anything about the variable speed drive, and f can be repaired easily or not. The lathe isn't under power so that's a concern. I just don't want to buy something that I can't get parts for or that the parts are so expensive it becomes a money pit.
I'm not afraid of a project, I'm actually looking for a project now. I've got 18 day of vacation off and after 4 days I'm going stir crazy already.

Occasionally you can find things on CL that aren't crazy priced. You just have to check every day and many times per day. I found an Ellis 1600 band saw for $175 last week. It's a $3k saw new, but I didn't see it fast enough, someone got it before I did. Then Friday night there was a nice Craftsman 12 speed floor model drill press for $175, but unfortunately yesterday I had to go do a family thing and again I missed it also.

I'm looking for a lathe that will be accurate and I'll put a DRO on it and a VFD since I don't have 3 phase power available here. I love the VFD on my Bridgeport.

Talk about overpriced................http://portland.craigslist.org/clk/tls/4813502210.html :yikes: Looks to be about a $300 mill to me if that.
And this is probably the same person http://portland.craigslist.org/wsc/tls/4813088805.html. They both need to "sale" the machines :)

Last edited:
It might be worth a road trip. Give you something to do anyway, it'll keep you from going nuts sitting around. :nuts: If you get really board, my shop needs cleaning:rofl:

EDIT: That lathe looks like it would fit on my MC trailer just fine.

My shop does to. I"m not bored today, tired actually. Had to put an alternator in my GF's RSX. Pulled the front bumper cover off, inner fender panel, power steering pump and reservoir and headlight assembly to get to the alternator through the headlight bucket hole. Why anyone would design a car you have to pull the bumper off to replace an alternator is beyond me. Shop quoted her $975. I got he part for $140 and took 5 hours but it's done.

I contacted the guy with the lathe and he is the one that had it on here. Even knew my first name without telling him. Said he needs the space and a bigger lathe.

I asked if he's seen it under power. That's my biggest concern. It could be a 1000lbs of scrap and I wouldn't know it.

I'm not afraid of a project, but I don't want it to break me in the process.

Edit: Just got a response. He hasn't seen it under power.

Last edited:
Don't know if you're still shopping this, and I can't view the CL ad.

However I do own a mid-50's Logan with variable speed drive. The drive is very simple and consists of a motor belt and headstock belt which meet halfway between at a jack shaft. On this shaft are split pulley sheaves which slide left-right. The sliding action opens and closes the sheave pairs, thereby changing their effective diameter. It's the change in operating diameter that changes the headstock spindle speed.

You might need new belts, or have some worn mechanism bushes, other than that the drive system fairly simple and robust.

I didn't buy it. From what I could see from the posts here was that the top of the compound rest was less than an inch to the centerline of the spindle. I have a lot of 3/4" tool holders and would like to use them. And it also looks like it was only a 1hp motor in the specs I found. I'd like more power than that.

Ideally I'd like to maybe find a Clausing or something similar.

Back