1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. There are some site issues which I am working on. There may be reduced functionality in some modules while I do. Thank you for your patience.

Dismiss Notice

Thoughts About Tables

Discussion in 'CNC IN THE HOME SHOP' started by speedre9, Oct 7, 2016.

1. speedre9

speedre9 United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Pelham
    State:
    New Hampshire

-Return to Top-

My machine has a three inch max depth of cut. I have some thoughts about the Z axis carriage and how the spindle motor is mounted to it. Theory, if the top of my table is at max depth, three inches from the Z axis carriage then the max depth is reduced by the thickness of the spoil board, correct?, does this make sense so far. Then if any of this is true then I should mount my permanent table surface at three inches plus whatever thickness I choose to use as a spoil board. Making the thickness of the spoil board my default thickness. Any comments, I have pondered this for a long time now. Is it rational????

2. T Bredehoft

T Bredehoft Active User H-M Supporter-Premium

City:
    St. Louisville
    State:
    Ohio

-Return to Top-

I don't know what mill you have, but my head is movable, (given that I remember to lock it after I do move it) while the spindle only moves abut 1 3/4 inches. Yeah, if your head is semi-fixed, can't be moved easliy, that 's what I'd do. If you need three inches of movement, and can accommodate a piece of spoil, you still have three inches of movement.

3. JimDawson

JimDawson Global Moderator Staff Member Director

City:
    Sandy
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

I suspect we are talking about a CNC router here, since you didn't specify. Do you only have 3 inches of travel on the Z? If that's the case, then I would do as you described. I would set it up so the shortest tool bit would just penetrate the spoilboard surface at maximum Z extension.

4. speedre9

speedre9 United States Active User Active Member

City:
    Pelham
    State:
    New Hampshire

-Return to Top-

Once again, I didn't add enough info. The machine I have is a K2CNC 2514 Gantry Router. There is only three inches of clearance between the gantry assembly and the table.
    But I have thought it is lessened by any spoil board unless the table is mounted on a modified plane. I wish I could add photos, but.

5. JimDawson

JimDawson Global Moderator Staff Member Director

City:
    Sandy
    State:
    Oregon

-Return to Top-

That is correct. The only way to add clearance is to make taller gantry support arms, or lower the table. For one router I did, I just made new support arms that were 2 inches taller. But you still may be limited by the amount of the Z travel.