Threading math question….

I will do some more threading , Guess im looking for a quick way to get down to “checking for for fit “
Rather than the almost endless stopping and checking I have been doing, lol

You have everything you need to make it easy right here in this thread. Lots of good info here.

Here is an idea for you.
If you are making a few items of the same size, pay attention on the first one how far you moved the compound. The rest will pretty much fellow suit.

There ya go... easy peasy.

Many of us just go by the major diameter and test the fit with a nut
I do, anyhow
This.

I did have to resort to fanning a makeshift set of thread wires last week. Size didn’t matter as I had a good portion of the bad part to use as a comparison to get me to size.

A small dap of light grease will stick the wires in place. There may be a slight error due to the grease film thickness but it seams negligible.

Greg

Agree. I have and use both.
On the thread wires i have foam type material that I put the wires in to hold them on one side. hold the other side with one hand and the other hand to measure across the wires.
Here is the foam rubber with the thread wires.

Attachments

• job.jpg
    job.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 10
  • job 2.jpg
    job 2.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 10
Regardless of what you dial in , you're after the pitch diameter . Thread wire sets are $15 , invest in a set to save all the hassles . ;)

Some of the cheep sets have a data sheet with the wrong data on :)

You can get a standard datasheet online though or maybe in machinery's handbook etc.

Stu

Or, you could just go to Joe Pie's videos and watch an easier way to thread!
One wire, no compound fooling around with angles and cosign.
Simple straightforward solution.

Back