Threading on the Midas 1220 XL

Elaborate ---
Sorry had to run.

So there is no Thread dial. Does not have a traditional half nut also you can mot disengage the transmission lever, sorry not sure the exact name. Picture below
So single point threading has to be done by powering the motor off and on and reversing the motor to return the cutting operation to the start.

My first attempt at thread cutting on this machine 2022 I made a 8mm LH eye bolt for the belt tensioner assembly. That I did the hard way by manually turning the the chuck, never again!!
Well I set up my thread cutting to run away from the chuck , picked that up on you tube from Joe Pie.
Cutter mounted up side down Lowest spindle speed 160 rpm
Set the change gears for 1.50 mm

Learned real quick you cant put the gear selector in N to crank the saddle/apron back to position ruined that attempt.

So pushing all the buttons often trying to time off so the tool stops in the relief area , even with DTI was a pain. I feel like all the starting and stopping and button pushing will have a negative effect on the motor?
Good thing what I made does not need to be accurate. They are simple “guide” pins screwed in finger tight , threads are a bit ugly
Made from un known aluminum alloy.

Im not sure if adding a thread dial to this is even a option the “half nut” is already prone to slipping half nut design picture below.73058556550__1AAA45B4-EDB1-4B08-B940-8F52DFA96FC3.jpeg
IMG_4387.jpegIMG_4390.jpeg

Not bad! The slipping half-nut definitely needs to be addressed
The high spindle speed is a problem too- Personally I can't thread at anything over about 75 rpm
This is where backgears really help- divides the speed and multiplies the torque

Last edited:
The high spindle speed is a problem too- Personally I can't thread at anything over about 75 rpm
This is where backgears really help- divides the speed and multiplies the torque
160 is the lowest set up I can achieve. I dont have the money time or patience to up grade this thing to a Variable speed set up.
Or even a thread dial…

I think its just a crappy design .
Theres no real adjustment between the floating threaded part and the backing ring. All a learning curve for me. Everything I learn on this machine and about will help me on the next lathe.

I got it cheap and have made my money back on a few parts I already made.

Last edited:
A thread dial might not be much help, you don't say is it is metric lead screw, so any further comment might be of little use.

Back