Threading table on my lathe is wrong or I'm an idiot.

I thought something didn't look right with your gear setup...

I know that's an easy mistake to make... don't ask me HOW I know...

Ok, I'll admit it... I've done the same thing before...

-Bear

Mystery solved! I am an idiot!

Glad it is solved, but No you are not.....

We have likely all been there at one point or another.
That's what is great about having this group; even if there's no one else on your entire block to help you figure it out the people here will always try.

The power of many minds.

Brian

The first time I used the lathe to cut threads I got the gears in the correct configuration and cut a very serviceable LEFT HAND thread - not what I was after. We all make stupid mistakes.
Well if I had gotten as far as you had, I would have made the same mistake :D . I would have cut a right hand thread when I actually needed a left hand one.

I ended up 3D printing what I needed because I would have had to make a special form tool for it, as well as sacrifice some choice pieces of aluminum that deserve higher purposes. I 3D modeled the 4.5TPI thread and I was so focused on getting the thread form right that its left-handedness escaped my notice. I did make it left handed, but didn't realize it was (and was supposed to be) left handed until I pulled it off the printer and tried to righty-tighty it onto the hose.

It's a "zero restriction" coupling from 1.5" NPT to 1.5" pool vacuum hose. The fittings they sell for this purpose are barbed-type and reduce the ID all the way to 1.02". Since I'm moving my pool pump further than normal from the pool I didn't want any restriction in the fittings, especially on the vacuum side.

20230503_172948.jpg
20230503_173518.jpg

20230503_173534.jpg

Back