Tightening saddle gib.

48willys

Registered
Registered
I've been searching for information about tightening the saddle gib. When the bolts are tightened the saddle locks to the bed and will no longer move.Some information I've found suggests that maybe there should be shims, but the way the gib is made it seems to me like it would still rock into the lathe bed when the bolts are tightened. What's the correct way to adjust this? This is a Logan 200IMG_20231202_132724365.jpg

The gib is not intended to be a snug fit, it is just to be adjusted to prevent the carriage from lifting too far when tool pressures push it up, the best cure for lifting is a taper attachment to hold the back of the carriage down, failing that is adding weight to the back of the carriage down.

Thanks. It makes sense that this wouldn’t need to be a snug fit. But it seemed odd that the best I can do is put the bolts in finger tight before it locks the carriage to the bed. Maybe a little adjustable thread lock to keep the bolts from backing out would do the trick.

The key is to only tighten the bolts enough to partly compress the split washers.

This gives a nice solid feel and slides very well..

Thanks. It makes sense that this wouldn’t need to be a snug fit. But it seemed odd that the best I can do is put the bolts in finger tight before it locks the carriage to the bed. Maybe a little adjustable thread lock to keep the bolts from backing out would do the trick.
Abom79 on Youtube has a video where he had to shim the gib on his American pacemaker which might be helpful because he answers many questions regarding the process.

Back