Tool and cutter grinder build

It took close to 900 hours to complete my grinder Mark. I use it just about every time I use my Mill.

"Billy G"

I'm thinking real hard on that air bearing. Not quite sure yet. They do get pricey.

"Billy G"

I'm thinking real hard on that air bearing. Not quite sure yet. They do get pricey.

"Billy G"

Watch ebay. I got mine for $120 on there. Also check out Neway air bearings. I spoke to them a while back and could get the bearing and a spindle for about $400. Still pricey but better than buying a Weldon for $1200. You make a housing and the bearing pushes in held mostly by the outer o-rings. You also have to bore the spindle for your collet system.

Look what I found Mark. I'm going after this one.

"Billy G"

http://www.ebay.com/itm/PRECISION-A...330724?hash=item35f583ede4:g:fXQAAOSwIwhWRjo9

I am now the high bidder.

Wow ..... That is an excellent deal if it doesn't shoot up too high in the last seconds. One minute before the end of the auction put in a maximum bid of what the most you would pay and wait . That is what I did. Mine was sitting at $118.00 but I had a max bid in of $150. Someone was sitting with a $120 bid and their finger on the button . At 10 seconds, they hit the button but lost because my bid was already there so I got it for the $120.

I have been reading and experimenting with the grinder setups. I downloaded a couple manuals for some of the small T&C grinders. I have found setups can be difficult and sometimes frustrating.
There are very few instructions out there on using a T&C grinder and many of the manuals leave a lot to your imagination for setting up. They all give you the desired specs of angles and such but don't step by step tell you how to set it up. I am trying to take the best info from several manuals and sources and figuring the easiest ways to accomplish it.

Mark I have read this thread with great interest. I am in the process of restoring a AI Hembrug universal grinder (with a lot of its accessories), but have no experience with toolgrinding (and not a lot with grinding in any other form). I have the manual, but it does not say a word about set up and use of the machine.
Could you tell us which manuals you have found to be of use in this respect? I would love to learn something to be able to start grinding when the machine is ready. (Which is on I hope)

Thanks,
Peter Heuts

Mark I have read this thread with great interest. I am in the process of restoring a AI Hembrug universal grinder (with a lot of its accessories), but have no experience with toolgrinding (and not a lot with grinding in any other form). I have the manual, but it does not say a word about set up and use of the machine.
Could you tell us which manuals you have found to be of use in this respect? I would love to learn something to be able to start grinding when the machine is ready. (Which is on I hope)

Thanks,
Peter Heuts

Well, I can tell you I have yet to find a manual that says anything about how to set up to grind cutters. They are all very vague in this area. BUT..... there is a wealth of information floating around on the web from various tool manufacturers telling how to sharpen tooling. Some of them go into fairly good detail about angles and wheels and how to grind, but they don't tell you how to set up the machine. YOU have to figure that out on your own more or less. There are many different ways to set up a grinder to get the same end results. it comes down to using some common sense. As long as you set everything up for the proper angles , it will work. I did find a Cincinnati manual on the net that gave some very basic setup info but it mostly only fit their grinder. I have been gathering info from all over that wonderful internet and trying to somewhat organize some info. The best info I have found yet is in a file I downloaded. It is a PDF file and is attached here. it really is not difficult to figure out a setup if you think carefully and know the angles. The setup is not as critical as the results.
You can sharpen end mills on a surface grinder if you have one. The only thing to do on any grinder is find a way to present the tool to the grinding wheel at the proper angle. How you do this does not matter. Of course some methods may be easier than others but they will all do the same thing in the end.
There is an inexpensive fixture that will hold an end mill at the proper angles to grind the end of the milling cutter on a surface grinder. But it will not grind the flutes.

Attachments

• ITS Techpage-Resharpening.pdf
    268.9 KB · Views: 94
  • ITS Techpage-Resharpening.pdf
    268.9 KB · Views: 60
Last edited by a moderator:
By the way..... There are 6 piece set of Chinese made end mills on eBay. they are all 4 flute and come in a set of 1/8, 3/16, 1/4, 5/16, 1/2, and 5/8. I have three sets. I buy them when they sell for $8 to $10 for the set and includes shipping. Some folks ( even on here have trashed these cutters , but I have had great success with them . they are sharp, long lasting , and cheap. I have been using one set for months and cut a lot of mild steel and aluminum. they are still working great. So , if you want some inexpensive mills that work great for less than $2 each, try these. You really cant go wrong the way I see it. I got my money worth on one of the cutters. I have no affiliation with these but just passing on a good find.

Back