Tool Chest for Christmas

so the cold to hot should not affect MDF, soaking it will.
I don't know if you realize it, but Gerstner is also veneer. It's because they need a stabilized base wood. If they made it from real oak, the price would go up dramatically because many would be needing service for warping, and splitting. the design would need to handle wood movement much more than it currently does. Notice all the tool boxes have the back grain horizontal and the side grain vertical. That' really can't happen in real wood without some serious issues, or some slip joints to allow the wood movement.

Gerstner addressed this in one of the Abom visits to Gerstner. I am a woodworker, and I don't have a Gerstner but was listening for how they did it.. then found that they did what every other maker would do... they used an engineered core.

BTW, there are waterproof MDF and LDF. I have not used them, but in talking to cabinet makers on a forum, they do use them when requested.

so the cold to hot should not affect MDF, soaking it will.
I don't know if you realize it, but Gerstner is also veneer. It's because they need a stabilized base wood. If they made it from real oak, the price would go up dramatically because many would be needing service for warping, and splitting. the design would need to handle wood movement much more than it currently does. Notice all the tool boxes have the back grain horizontal and the side grain vertical. That' really can't happen in real wood without some serious issues, or some slip joints to allow the wood movement.

Gerstner addressed this in one of the Abom visits to Gerstner. I am a woodworker, and I don't have a Gerstner but was listening for how they did it.. then found that they did what every other maker would do... they used an engineered core.

BTW, there are waterproof MDF and LDF. I have not used them, but in talking to cabinet makers on a forum, they do use them when requested.
Maybe today's version of machinists' toolboxes are made of "stabilized wood" but that wasn't always the case. I currently have 5 machinists toolboxes in the shop, and all are made of solid wood. My wife's parents used to buy them by the dozens, (usually at estate sales or antique shops) refinish them for jewelry boxes and give them to relatives as Christmas presents.

I have no idea what brand boxes I have are or what wood they're made of. I do know they all hold tools equally well and the drawers continue to in and out with no problems. Most of mine date from the early 1900's to the mid 1950's. They all have "character" from the many years they spent in machine shops.

I stand by what I said.
My older Grizzly is made out of solid wood, and probably mdf as well.
The sides and top appear to be solid wood.
Just to show you what happens to solid wood follow the red arrow.
I love solid wood, and as a woodworker will use it. But I can repair it. I also will not use it when I don't think I can get by.
MDF is a good base material. I used to hate it. I would rather do fine WW... but I concede it has it's uses. Especially if veneering. I have some gorgeous E-Temo, highly figured veneer. I won't put it on ply, or anything else. It will probably print through. MDF makes sense.
PXL_20231205_195547458.jpgPXL_20231205_195551281_pointer.jpgPXL_20231205_195703864.PORTRAIT.jpgPXL_20231205_195734025.jpg

From the looks of the pictures the rear panel on the toolbox is capped on the top. Giving it the allusion of solid wood. Grain pattern also.

I do my fair share of cabinet work. Mdf is used but one would rather use veneer plywood in a wet area. Those cheap cabinets you get at the big box are mdf core and fasteners pull out. Get them wet and they swell and split. Garbage imo. Of course a lot depends on application, cost, etc.

From what I understand MDF wasn’t commercially available until the mid 1960’s. Before then about the only options were solid wood or plywood. I doubt craftsmen of previous eras were making much high end furniture or cabinetry out of plywood with a veneer skin. Yet they managed to build quality pieces that stood up over time.

I’m sure MDF is a less expensive option material wise, and as you say more structurally sound for some applications. I’m guessing it has reduced both material and labor costs. I may be old school but I still prefer solid wood even with all it’s short comings.

Yesteryears ply is not the same as today's ply. The voids even in baltic and finnish ply are amazing. I just picked up some Sandeply (marine grade) and it has some big voids.

As far as your first sentence. I said an engineered core. I assume it was ply in the old days. I don't know if it is MDF or ply today.
Ply still expands and contracts, just very little compared to solid wood.

I'm just repeating what Gerstner said in the video about their product. Adam thought they were solid wood, and the person taking him around explained that they were not, that they were veneered.

They also explained about made in USA (Gerstner) and import (Gerstner International)

Yeah it's really sad, quality plywood is almost impossible to find especially up here, in the sticks. The other day I bought some "Baltic" plywood from the Depot, I went through the whole unit, about 50 sheets to pull out 10 of the flattest ones, with clean faces. A week later they looked like they were part of a boat hull, bowed and warped every which way, SMH...

When I was down in NYC running a custom wood shop we used MDF mostly for lacquer finished furniture as it is void less and can be easily shaped, but the stuff is kind of nasty, It off gasses formaldehyde and yeah, readily absorbs moisture from the air. IMHO it's glorified cardboard, I won't allow it in my home or in my current shop.

There is water resistant mdf. It's not hydroscopic I looked it up, 2 manufacturers. I really thought the guy I was talking (forum) said waterproof, but water resistant is close. It's also formaldehyde free

There is water resistant mdf. It's not hydroscopic I looked it up, 2 manufacturers. I really thought the guy I was talking (forum) said waterproof, but water resistant is close. It's also formaldehyde free
Yeah I used that stuff, I think it was called Medx or Medite? it was pretty good but twice the price of regular MDF.

about 17-20 years ago a retired machinist that lived in the town I was a police officer in knew I had a lathe. Used to visit him if I saw him in his shop. One day he gave me a Gerstner box and a aftermarket wood tool box. Both missing the bottom part that covers the drawers. Have stored a few gun parts in them.

Attachments

• F6C2BDA4-3B47-4A72-AB5A-88CE0B49F906.jpeg
    F6C2BDA4-3B47-4A72-AB5A-88CE0B49F906.jpeg
    261.1 KB · Views: 15
  • B9BAC372-29B8-47C0-8102-A559820CF6C4.jpeg
    B9BAC372-29B8-47C0-8102-A559820CF6C4.jpeg
    277.6 KB · Views: 13
  • 8EABFD4B-6A12-4601-8296-35483A008A64.jpeg
    8EABFD4B-6A12-4601-8296-35483A008A64.jpeg
    159.4 KB · Views: 14
  • 00C50559-72A9-4633-83D7-67D4451AA34C.jpeg
    00C50559-72A9-4633-83D7-67D4451AA34C.jpeg