Tool for Using Dies in Tight Spaces?

Chips O'Toole

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
Let's say you want to clean up the threads on a wheel lug stud, but you would like to do it with the hub in place. You can't get a regular die handle in there. There must be a tool for this, like a socket that holds a die. What is it?

Let's say you want to clean up the threads on a wheel lug stud, but you would like to do it with the hub in place. You can't get a regular die handle in there. There must be a tool for this, like a socket that holds a die. What is it?

If you wanted to diy , a piece of hex stock with a round hole in one end and a grub screw for the dimple in the die.

Stu

Maybe I could anneal an impact socket and put a hole in it for a screw.

Teng Tools makes one product. It's a 1/4-drive "die chuck" for up to 12mm dies. Wonder if that would get it.

Thanks for the idea of using a hex die. I should have thought of that. My dies are all round, but I found a Bosch 1/2-20 HSS hex for under $10. Problem solved.

Teng Tools makes one product. It's a 1/4-drive "die chuck" for up to 12mm dies. Wonder if that would get it.

That's kind of what I was imagining making from hex bar but it's got a square drive socket instead of using a socket on the hex bar.

Stu

There is a thread on this forum about re-threading dies by the way.

I think the re threading dies try and squish the metal about more than cutting it, probably depends what is wrong with the threads as to what you use.

Stu

Interesting thread. Thanks.

These threads just have to hold 4 lugs on a utility cart wheel until I find new lug studs, so I don't need perfection.

Dude at PM says a rethreading die will be thicker than a cutting die. Says a hex cutting die will be the same thickness as a round die, but a rethreading die will be as thick as a nut.

Back