Tool gloat

B

bvd1940

Forum Guest
Register Today
Went shopping at the local scrap yard today and found me a Phase 2 press laying there saying take me please take me!!! So I did for 30 cents a pound then I spied a smaller press right near the phase 2, and a Chicken weather vane to make wife happy for $46 for the lot. :biggrin::drink2::lmao:

IMG_2466.JPG IMG_2467.JPG IMG_2468.JPG

Nice score bvd1940, But where is the picture of the Chicken?

Paul

Awesome score. The arbor press is probably the most used tool in my shop. Picked mine up better than 23 years ago, sitting in some guys wood shed.

A bit of cleaning and it looks like it will be very servicable for you.

Walter

There was a 3-ton press very much like your big one advertised here for the last month or so. The slotted disk was missing and the top of the ram was mushed over from a severe hammer beating. The seller said "Make an offer", so I emailed him and offered $25, mentioning the deficiencies. He responded that he wouldn't take less than $100. You did great. Good gloat.

There was a 3-ton press very much like your big one advertised here for the last month or so. The slotted disk was missing and the top of the ram was mushed over from a severe hammer beating. The seller said "Make an offer", so I emailed him and offered $25, mentioning the deficiencies. He responded that he wouldn't take less than $100. You did great. Good gloat.

I know there sposed to be a plate but could not find it and was in a hurry so I might have to go shopping there again but ifin I cant find it I will make one if I ever get my new lathe I ordered March 30th but have not received yet:mad:

I get more mileage from a set of bearing knives. Mine are made form a chunk of 8" square x 1-1/4" T1 Armour Plate. With 3/4 NF 51-- series spring stock used to make the bolts. this is one of the projects that I made while in millwright school about the same time as I picked up the press.

Then there are the other plates, and sleeves and pins that all make it a more convenient tool.

The pictures of the Grey press and the one of the sleeves out on the table are a friends shop. I have that same set of sleeves, but I made up holders to fit into the doors of my Craftsman wall cabinet that is right above my Famco #25R 5 ton ratchet handle press. The other pictures are some of the special jigs that I have for pressing tools apart and back together.

Walter

removal.jpg sleeves.jpg IMG_2283.JPG IMG_2282.JPG IMG_2604.JPG IMG_2605.JPG IMG_2606.JPG

I'd say you did very well. Arbor presses are very versatile when you start making dies and punches for them too. Let your imagination run wild.

Plus you made wife happy.....good job.

Very nice score. Have you ever done electrolysis cleaning for rust removal? This project would be perfect for it. I have used it on a few junk yard finds and it works great. Walter, not to be slow but what are bearing knives? I am getting ready to build a 50 ton press out of a car jack and would love ideas on design and usage. Mostly looking to use it for press forming but want to keep my options open.

Jeff

Jeff

The bearing knives (bearing splitter) are actually shown sitting on the press.

Here is the plans that I used to make them up from. Note that they show using a Grade 8 bolt, but I used 5160(?) spring steel and turned up two bolts, threaded at each end and use 4 nuts rather than just two as shown.

Also I included the drawings for the Vee Plates that I use on the 50 Ton Press. These were made up at around the same time. I made up two sets, that way they can be stacked it required to get a bit extra height.

The other print is a smaller set of bearing knives that are good for hard to reach bearings. I copied a set i used to work with, but I never made these, ended up getting a set premade from Milwaukee, but I prefer the ones that are drawn up. Maybe one year I will make them up.

Walter

Bearing-Seperator-1.jpg Bearing-Seperator-2.jpg Vee-plates-1.jpg bearing-splitter-5-in.jpg

Walter
I have a collection of wrist pins of different sizes that I use for pressing items. Do you use the rotary plate much or would it be better just to have bunch of plates to setup with?:thinking:
My old arbor press I had was built different and very limiting on operation. By the way finaly got news on my new lathe and it is in the USA (customs) finaly:biggrin: Maybe I will finely will get to some of the backlog I have for the lathe.:biggrin:
There was another BIG press out there but could not find any ratings or name on it but it would be in the 100,S of ton rating, the cyl. was at least 16 inch bore and the press was all there but would not fit in my shop:eek: We used one like it at the shop I retired from to press out pencil lead for fishing.;) You would need a semi to move it.

Jeff
No I have never tried that method to de rust anything yet but have already got the big one cleaned up, painted and reassembled and ready to mount to bench:biggrin:
I am going to break down and try that one of these days. The press had been hardly used from the looks of it after clean up the only thing other than the rotary plate missing was a rubber cap on the end of the lever.:lmao:

Back