Tool Grinder? Wheels?

PHPaul

Registered
Registered
Been watching videos on grinding HSS bits. Looks like something I need to learn how to do.

I have a cheap (think Harbor Freight) bench grinder with a coarse wheel that I use out in the garage, but I'm guessing I'd want something better for grinding lathe tools.

Recommendations for a grinder with decent tables and what brand/grit wheels to use would be appreciated.

Don't want to break the bank, would like the keep the entire setup under $200 if that's a reasonable expectation.

there isn't anything special about the grinder itself, just the grinding wheel has to work on HSS. I don't know the right wheel/wheels to suggest for you to get, as I'm using a green wheel my dad bought and I don't know anything about it other than it's color and that it works...

A good coarse stone and a good fine stone are probably more important than the grinder. Also get a grinding wheel dresser to true up the wheels as needed. A good oil honing stone is a must also. I have a 60 year old grinder that I bought at a garage sale that works for me.
Cheers
Martin

When selecting a grinder consider thinking about guards.
The least expensive are likely the old grinders with oil cups and bushings, these are likely belt driven. Bushings can be replaced inexpensively.
If belt driven, then watch rotation direction and the rpm of the stone as calculated by motor speed and pulley selection.
A grinder doesn't have to be expensive to be safe and effective.

Daryl
MN

Been watching videos on grinding HSS bits. Looks like something I need to learn how to do.

I have a cheap (think Harbor Freight) bench grinder with a coarse wheel that I use out in the garage, but I'm guessing I'd want something better for grinding lathe tools.

Recommendations for a grinder with decent tables and what brand/grit wheels to use would be appreciated.

Don't want to break the bank, would like the keep the entire setup under $200 if that's a reasonable expectation.

What size is the grinder, wheel dia, and width, Are the bearings in good condition. Grey Aluminium oxide is generally the common wheels found on grinders, usually grey. it's also the best wheel compound for HSS. I think most people use 60 or 80 grit. Get a good dressing tool and dress the wheels up see if runs true without vibration or noise you should be good to go. At least to start with. Take the wheels off and see what the labels say. that's the size you'll need to buy. The label should tell you everything you need to know about the wheels you have.

After dressing the wheels adjust the rests so that they just clear the wheels, Turn the wheels slowly by hand and check they running round. What size HSS toolbits are you using.

DB, thanks for the reply.

The grinder is actually in pretty good shape, runs 6" wheels. The big problem is that the tool rests are pretty cheesy. I see an aftermarket rest that installs separately that looks pretty good, I'll probably just do that and get some new wheels for it. I have a wheel dresser.

I'll be using 5/16 tools on my Grizzly mini lathe.

Looking at tubalcain's videos, I see he roughs them to shape on an 80 grit wheel and then finishes them off on a finer grit. Is that the usual practice?

DB, thanks for the reply.

The grinder is actually in pretty good shape, runs 6" wheels. The big problem is that the tool rests are pretty cheesy. I see an aftermarket rest that installs separately that looks pretty good, I'll probably just do that and get some new wheels for it. I have a wheel dresser.

I'll be using 5/16 tools on my Grizzly mini lathe.

Looking at tubalcain's videos, I see he roughs them to shape on an 80 grit wheel and then finishes them off on a finer grit. Is that the usual practice?

A 6" grinder should be fine with 5/16th tool bits. Do you know what grit yours are? If you dress them up nicely you can get away with almost anjything, i've often used 60 grit wheels on 3/8 bits also drills. As long as your grinder runs smoothly and true, without vibration and the wheels are properly dressed I'd go with what you've got.

A 6" grinder should be fine with 5/16th tool bits. Do you know what grit yours are? If you dress them up nicely you can get away with almost anjything, i've often used 60 grit wheels on 3/8 bits also drills. As long as your grinder runs smoothly and true, without vibration and the wheels are properly dressed I'd go with what you've got.

Yup, I've come to the same conclusion. There are other things I need that I can spend that money on.

Another hobby to use up my spare cash. My wife is SO thrilled...

For a new guy, a belt sander might be a better option. It is much easier and faster to grind a tool on a belt sander and the results are quite good. Just something to consider.

For a new guy, a belt sander might be a better option. It is much easier and faster to grind a tool on a belt sander and the results are quite good. Just something to consider.

Good point. And I have a set of plans to built a belt sander. Excellent excuse to start on that project.

Back