Tooling And Material Question!

yes you need to sharpen some cement carbide bits to drill steel, but they do work very good and don't chip or crack like a regular carbide tipped bits--they work especially good for removing a broken bit or tap--all machinists should have the capability to grind carbide-----Dave

yes you need to sharpen a cement carbide bit to drill steel, but they do work very good and don't chip or crack like a regular carbide tipped bits--they work especially good for removing a broken bit or tap--all machinists should have the capability to grind carbide-----Dave

No offense but as I posted above, no re-sharpening needed; I've used masonry drills from the hardware store for many years and not one has ever touched a grinding wheel :)

I don't happen to have any masonry drills at present (just checked the shop) but I'm going into town tomorrow and will stop at the hardware store and pick up a couple. Will take some photos and post tomorrow -

P.S. If your last sentence was addressed to me, why would you assume that I didn't have the capability to grind carbide ?

Last edited:
a nice sharp carbide bit will always do a better and easier job of drilling than a dull bit like most cement bits are---yes they will drill but if you never have touched up a carbide bit then you probably don't realize the difference---I have used them all the time and they are a inexpensive valuable source of carbide bits---Dave----Randy--I wasn't quoting you--I released my reply before I realized that you had replied to the thread---that's why I edited mine to say some need to be resharpened---anyway we both use the same resources---a lot of my cement bits were used in cement and were definitely dull---mine came from auctions and garage sales---Dave

Last edited:
---yes they will drill but if you never have touched up a carbide bit then you probably don't realize the difference---

Dave - maybe you're unaware of this and it is unintentional but you are addressing me in a somewhat patronizing attitude. You seem to be making a few presumptions without any basis. You know nothing about my background and knowledge and I know nothing about yours.

I think that we might agree, however, that my experience using these tools might differ from your own while both may be valid. As I said above, no offense. So far, my relationships in this forum have been cordial and respectful and I certainly hope that will continue :)

Dave, looks like you edited your post so my above comments might no longer apply. Peace :)

Last edited:
Randy--I was just agreeing with you that cement bits were good to use ---no disrespect intended-----I enjoy and respect your comments----------
-Dave

OK, just came back from town where, after my errands were done, I picked up this set of masonry drills for $15. It's been some years since I bought any of these and the price is higher than I remember but these are nicer drills than the ones I remember.

Grabbed a piece of steel scrap and went at it with the 1/4 masonry drill. The spindle speed was already set to 950 RPM and I didn't bother to change it. Higher speed would probably have been better. Although I didn't actually time the operation, drilling the 1/2 deep hole definitely took less than a minute.

The drill was right out of the box, no grinding. When I get a few minutes I'll try refining the edge with a green wheel and see what happens :)

P1050021.JPG P1050024.JPG

Everyone should have a set of these for those special needs ...

I just spent $15 unnecessarily, LOL. I was going to put the new set of masonry drills away in one of the small drawers where I keep cutting tools. I happened to notice that one of the drawers was labeled "carbide drills".

And of course when I opened it, I found the same set of masonry drills that I purchased this morning. I suppose that I'll segregate them so one set only gets used for masonry and keep the other set only for hard steel. I thought that I had some masonry drills - it's hell getting old and losing your memory :)

Hah hah hah RandyC !!! I have done that!! Well, at least you know your past-self would agree with your latest purchase! Hah hah

Bernie

Back