Tormach tool system

matthewsx

H-M Supporter - Diamond Member
H-M Lifetime Diamond Member
Okay, I got a few TTS pieces with my latest haul. Trying to see if it makes sense to pursue their system, and figure out just how proprietary it is.

IMG_3361.jpeg

This is what I got, no ER adapter, no JT, but maybe a start.

For those who have it, how important is the special TTS collet?

IMG_3362.jpeg

This generic Chinese 3/4” seems to fit pretty good.

Also, can you just use any old straight shank 3/4” adapter with whatever tooling you have? Does it have to be Tormach?

This is for a manual machine, not CNC or any auto tool changers.

Any insight is appreciated.

John

This should answer most of your questions. https://littlemachineshop.com/images/gallery/Instructions/U10044M_Tormach_Tooling_System.pdf

In particular, there is a spindle mod required to get the most out of the Tormach system (page 5).

Tom
Cool, I had found the LMS page but dived that far into it.

I also have a Tormach dealer just up the road from me so I can definitely ask questions there.

But, my main question is for a manual operator is there any real difference between this and just using short 3/4” adapters for my tooling?

For example, I have a few drill chucks that have R8 adapters mounted. It would be easier and more convenient to have them mount into a 3/4” collet than dropping the R8 out of the spindle. If I just bought JT to 3/4” adapters would it be worse than buying the TTS units? Bear in mind I’m not doing CNC here, just manual where I’ll be using indicators or maybe a DRO.

John

Okay, I think I get it now.

For a manual setup it probably doesn’t matter for things like drill chucks where accuracy will b limited by the tool itself.

Where I probably want the TTS tooling would be for things like an ER chuck so I have minimum runout.

Will look into their special collet and get one if not too pricy.

Definitely open to opinions from folks who have used TTS on a manual mill.

John

I run a TSS Tension/Compression Taping Head using a 3/4-inch collet on my PM-935 without issue.

Back