TouchDRO Install on PM-940V

u2fletch

Registered
Registered
In the process of setting up my new PM-940V. It is the basic model with hardened ways but no PDF. Eventually will do a CNC conversion with the ArizonaVideo99 kit with HD Z axis ballscrews. In the meantime, I will use the mill manually so am installing the TouchDRO system. I have the same DRO on my LMS Hi Torque 7500 lathe, and it was a simple setup.

Claugh42 did a great set of videos doing the scale install on a PM-940M. I am taking a slightly different approach, mainly in that I will 3d print all my parts.

Here is the first step on the Y-Axis. Probably should have ordered a longer scale for this axis. it has 12" of travel, but because of the mounting bolts on the base I have to work around those cutouts. The left hand red bracket needed to be shimmed out 1.5mm to get tracking within a couple thou down the length of the scale. I printed a simple shim cap to sit under the scale. The table is in the most forward position in this photo. Next step is the plate to bolt onto the end of the carriage to mount to the sensor. There is about a 5mm offset between the plane of the carriage and the sensor, so that offset will be built into the plate. The parts are made out of red PLA for testing. Once the dimensions are dialed in the final parts will probably use CF PETG, just because the parts look nice.

Y Axis.jpg

Here is the test Y Sensor Bracket. Fit was perfect first attempt, and there is plenty of adjustment in the glass scale screw slots to get level across the top surface of the scale. Time to print the parts. Can't see clearly in the pic but there is an L shaped lip on the back of the upper portion of bracket that matches shape of carriage. This prevents any rotation at all so I can get away with one screw up top.

Y Sensor Bracket.jpg

Working on the Z axis. Mounted on left side of column to avoid the gib locks on the right side. Claugh42 mounted his on the right, so had to work around them. I think the Z axis limit switches on his machine were mounted on the left side so that was the reason for mounting on the right.

The bracket fits perfectly on first attempt, but I want a little more clearance between the bracket and the scale. I also need to put some shims under the end mounting brackets to get some clearance under the scale. The casting is rough, so don't want anything touching under there.

You may notice that the upper right bolt on the plate is not symmetric to the others. I drilled the bottom hole first in the Z head, then punched the location of the upper hole. I was using 2 drill bits for the hole, one to drill the hole to depth, then the larger tap drill to get to final dimension. Well the first drill snapped off halfway into the hole. No way to get it out of there easily so moved the hole down and adjusted my CAD model. Grrr....

Z Sensor.jpg

Nice work!

I used Nema 34 Clearpath servos.

I used Nema 34 Clearpath servos.
Nice! When you took apart the Z column to do the install did you put in any shims, or attempt to scrape the base to adjust nod/column tilt? Mine has about 5 thou of dip across 10" of table front to back. Needs about .0015 shim under front bolts if I did math right.

Back