TouchDRO Install on PM-940V

The scales are installed and calibrated. Here is the X axis Sensor mount. I added 2mm shims under the end of the scale to leave a gap between the table. Will mount the aluminum chip guard and slip the edge into the gap. I am also printing a spacer block 30mm thick to mount on each side of the sensor. The accordian will then screw into that block.

20231209_061915_resized.jpg

Last detail is to clean up the cable runs and mount the TouchDRO case on the cabinet somewhere. I also ordered a 5v DIN rail power supply to mount inside the electronics cabinet. Then will add a thru panel dual USB port to provide power for the Tablet and TouchDRO box.

20231209_061858_resized.jpg

The tablet is mounted and sitting very securely. 3d printed brackets and 3m mounting tape. Found some 8mm leadscrew and cut it down for the post.

20231209_061832_resized.jpg

Nice! When you took apart the Z column to do the install did you put in any shims, or attempt to scrape the base to adjust nod/column tilt? Mine has about 5 thou of dip across 10" of table front to back. Needs about .0015 shim under front bolts if I did math right.
The column seemed to have some paper shims when I took it apart. I shimmed it myself when I put it together. I need to do it again to make it a little better.

The scales are installed and calibrated.

Nice work and pictures. What were the final, or your recommended, length of your 3 DRO scales?

There was some info on your Z-axis photo, but not on the others. Did you purchase, and use, a ToAuto 3 axis kit? https://www.toautotool.com/products/3-axis-dro-kit-lcd-display-3-scales?variant=42998333210777

Are these glass or magnetic?

I have a 940M-VS-CNC so in theory I do not need a DRO, but I think it would be handy to be able to compare with the CNC computer read out. Sometimes things get off a bit and one does not know/believe the CNC position. It would also be handy to have when one wants to move the table without using the CNC.

They are 1um glass scales. Plenty of room to install and more accurate than the magnetic scales I've used before. I got 650, 500 and 300. Getting a 450 or 500 for the Y would be fine I think to avoid the bolt holes in the base. They were bought individually.

Thanks. Useful to know. I think the magnetic DROs get a bum rap because their resolution was not as good when they first arrived on the scene. More recently, at least the Magnetic scale on my PM1440GT seems fine, which I purchased with the machine from PM. The z axis is 5 micron and the cross slide is 1 micron resolution. I have calibrated the cross axis to make sure it is accurate using a separate, but very good, 1" digital plunge gauge for which I had previously checked the calibration.

Thanks. Useful to know. I think the magnetic DROs get a bum rap because their resolution was not as good when they first arrived on the scene. More recently, at least the Magnetic scale on my PM1440GT seems fine, which I purchased with the machine from PM. The z axis is 5 micron and the cross slide is 1 micron resolution. I have calibrated the cross axis to make sure it is accurate using a separate, but very good, 1" digital plunge gauge for which I had previously checked the calibration.
I have a Ditron magnetic 1um scale on the cross slide of my lathe and it seems to work fine. The small size was perfect for mounting on the cross slide where space is a premium.

Back