Tractor Gauge Clusters

RandyM

Mr. Deliberate
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I know this isn't really a machining projects, but they are fabrication projects. I apologize for the lack of in process pics.

I got really fed up with just having idiot lights for my two John Deere tractors. So here are my solutions to the problem. The pods are all sheet metal with a powder coat finishes. These were great mods to my machines. The tractors are a 2305 and a 2520. The hardest part of the project was cutting holes in the hoods. The temp and oil pressure gauges are mechanical. I made cardboard templates for patterns. Everything was hand formed without any special metal forming tools.

Woooo Hoooo no more guessing.

Gauges -  04.JPGGauges -  06.JPGGauges -  07.JPGGauges - Prototype 04.JPGGauges -  03.JPGGauges -  08.JPG2305 Guages Finished 02.JPG

Attachments

• 2305 Guages Finished 04.JPG
    2305 Guages Finished 04.JPG
    635.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 2305 Guages Finished 09.JPG
    2305 Guages Finished 09.JPG
    621.6 KB · Views: 5
Good to see you posting again Randy , and most of us love anything tractor related . Nice pair of tractors you have a great job on the gauges . :encourage:

Nicely done.
Not sure what year those models are. I have a 2013 Deere, about the time they seemed to hit the peak of trying to lock customers into paying dealers for maintenance. One of my two gripes about it is that they pushed the "idiot light" to the extreme, with everything triggering a take in for service light. One of the faults that will trigger that light is running the PTO at too low RPMs. I had to take it in for service to find that out. Doesn't show a code and as far as I know there isn't a good code reader for JD's that doesn't cost less than a grand. (If anyone knows otherwise I'd like to know). Kind of ridiculous since I frequently run the manure spreader or sprayer a bit slow intentionally, so I tend ignore that light. I know later models of the same tractor went to showing a code for more obvious things, I think the 'right to repair' movement caught up with them.

Was just in Ireland, and owner's of the green don't have nice things to say about them. Cost of ownership is twice to three times rhe Massey Ferguson .

Nicely done.
Not sure what year those models are. I have a 2013 Deere, about the time they seemed to hit the peak of trying to lock customers into paying dealers for maintenance. One of my two gripes about it is that they pushed the "idiot light" to the extreme, with everything triggering a take in for service light. One of the faults that will trigger that light is running the PTO at too low RPMs. I had to take it in for service to find that out. Doesn't show a code and as far as I know there isn't a good code reader for JD's that doesn't cost less than a grand. (If anyone knows otherwise I'd like to know). Kind of ridiculous since I frequently run the manure spreader or sprayer a bit slow intentionally, so I tend ignore that light. I know later models of the same tractor went to showing a code for more obvious things, I think the 'right to repair' movement caught up with them.
Randal,
The 2305 is a 2009 and the 2520 is a 2008. Yeah, the idiot lights do trigger some warnings, but they are just the usual temp and oil warnings. I think it will even shut the machine down in some cases. So, there you sit not knowing what to fix. All I did was disconnect them. I agree, this forced dealer service stuff is a bunch of hooey, on cars as well as tractors.

You did an excellence job on the gauges. You should be proud.

Ray

Was just in Ireland, and owner's of the green don't have nice things to say about them. Cost of ownership is twice to three times rhe Massey Ferguson .
Yep, I think JD shot themselves in the foot on that front and had to back off a bit. I know later models of the same tractor as I have do include more informative diagnostics on the panel, rather than just an all-encompassing idiot (service required) light. I'm certainly not going to pay them for a new tractor to address that though, nor anyone else. So for now I just live with it. A newer tractor would have better diesel emissions.

Back