Trying to figure out what this tool is used for?

Dang it, you guys! Now I want, no NEED, yet another tool that I din't even know existed.

Oh. and welcome aboard JoshS. You have tapped into a vast repository of machining knowledge.

Grumpy

I dunno guys. I have a bench block that I made. It is solid with holes around the periphery.

Something looks special about this one. The nice "V" slot with holes in the centre. The circumference has nice knurls.

With those dowels could it be for some sort of wire bender?

David
I bought one just like it from a retiring machinist (only it is a Starrett). He called it a "bench anvil". I have something similar in my watchmaking tools that I use to hold small stuff while I tap on it. No idea if that's the proper use for it or not. Starting taps and pins seems like a good use as well.

I dunno guys. I have a bench block that I made. It is solid with holes around the periphery.

Something looks special about this one. The nice "V" slot with holes in the centre. The circumference has nice knurls.

With those dowels could it be for some sort of wire bender?

David
It's a bench block. A normal one.

Awesome. Thanks for the quick responses. Since he had them in the same drawer I thought maybe they were related. Great forum here.

I know he did alot of gunsmithing so I bet that's what he used it for.
That doesn't mean he didn't use them together.
But it is for driving pins. In a pinch with the dowel pins you can cut a fiber, or brass washer.
you might use the balls to locate the hole on the sheet. Stick the ball approx where the hole is and tap with a hammer on the ball on a sheet of brass or fiber is.
This locates the hole, now use the dowel pin to drive through, and it will cut a hole.. same on fiber.
So he may have kept them together to be able to have multi uses from that block rather than buy a very expensive cutting block usually with a plastic guide on top to line up the hole.

Guys please don't keep quoting me...I am embarrassed.:sorry:

David

A bench block can be made any size you want or need. As a gunsmith they are used extremely often , watchmaker , clockmakers, tool makers.
Get the idea , many jobs need them , I made my starrett copy in around 1970 in vokie. Case hardened and all with colors . I'd think he had the dowel pins to help hold an item while inserting the right pin in an action . If you try to get springs toggles and hammer it would be easier with them held to the block.

Back