Turret Lathe Mentor Needed (hoped For)

I have use big turrets as engine lathes
Work great and will cut faster they built rigid
I would even make steady rest and some comes with threading

Dave

Daryl,
I've thought hard about buying a big turret lathe since there are so many up here going for almost scrap prices. But just not enough room in the shop. Two books that might help you:

"Getting the Most Out of Your Turret Lathe" and "The Turret Lathe Operator's Manual" both by Warner & Swasey

Great Potential there, Daryl, lots of things to discover.

Tom

A lot of good tooling
You find most you will never use
The basic tooling is roller box , threading/die head/taping and drilling/reaming for bar work
I do not see must for chucking work

Dave

Thanks for the book titles recommendations!

Pics as per requested. I've been able to divine the names of some of these. However, having the name is not quite the same as figuring out how it works.
Didn't get much done this weekend. Eldest daughter decided to spend the weekend, she wanted to learn how to cut dovetails and finger joints. Yeah, wood stuff. Old school: dove tail saw and chisel. Spent a lot of time discussing joint set up application and honing.

Anyway... here are the turret attachment pics.
My plan is to identify each accessory, learn how each works, and learn it's capacity / limitations.

Thank you,
Daryl
MN

That is quite a few box tools you have there Dog, you will no doubt find them interesting to set up if ever used.

Dad used to tell me that it doesn't matter the quality of the tool or how much you could sell it for, the only real value is in its being used.
Starts with knowing and understanding how to use it, and then... actually using it.

Daryl
MN

Wish I lived closer. I have run W&S from a #3 all the way to a 5A. Thought about looking for a #3 for home shop at one point. Very handy machines. Tapped with releasing head, od threads with the die head. Used box tools, boring head, etc. in the turret. Was 30+ years ago, but........

Paul in OKC,
Be careful, will see how this goes come winter break when school is in recess (I teach), it may be me knocking at your door with a truck load of tooling for you to look at.

Daryl
MN

Has others have said the turret lathes are made super strong. Made to last forever the only thing that did them in was the cnc, we used to turn out thousands of parts still in the 70s , in one shop where I worked we had at least thirty of them in all the larger sizes. W/S , most had bar feeders . Like I said before you worked when running them babies. I will say I learned a lot running them , we made the most of all operations , once set up parts would be all but done when they left the lathe. Sure wish I could go thru all my apprentice years again , I would have tryed some of the small screw machines never did get to run those. Had lots of good men help teach me , and there all gone now . No more apprentices just operators if that.

Progress!
Today I tracked down my power loss. She starts well then loses power.
Always figured it was electrical. Likely because I'm most overwhelmed at electrical puzzles.
The motor always sounds the same.... must be something else.
Reread the manual. The access ports shown in the manual aren't the same as what the lathe actually wears.
Thus, started tearing down the headstock.
Ended up being a slipping clutch which gets worse as it warms.
I don't have the "factory tools" which the manual recommends. Surprise!
6 hours to figure it out. 4 minutes to fix.

Already started cleaning the rust off the assorted attachments.
Now on to making a rear cut off.

Will be in touch via this thread, thanks for patiently standing by.

Daryl
MN

Back