Universal Cutter Grinder Malfunction?

My cheap heart runs on parameters which I try and be methodical about. So with the mill drill one of the parameters was not changing the z of the head so to not lose registration. Not using a drill chuck and having a complete set of collets and screw length drill bits was necessary. R8 was a parameter. Problem is it’s not usually used for specialized work holding like 5c. You can find square, and hex ID in 5c, almost impossible in R8. Being able to hold square would negate having to use that silly lathe tool holder. I was able to finally find a vendor of square ID R8.

My interest in machining once again started through being cheap and necessity. I’ve been making an accessory for acoustic instruments for 35yrs now and as production has gone up, I’ve made my specialized equipment as needed. So I don’t do work for other people as I’m too busy producing units and doing upgrades in between as needed and as I get inspiration. I started out all forming by hand and OA welded and now laser cut and formed with machines I’ve made from repurposed stuff.

I am also a lover of history. I was aware of Kurt Tank contracting out much of the manufacture of FW 190 to small shops making it almost impossible to knock out production unlike the BF 109 which was all made in one factory. I’d never heard of that about the Japanese but it shouldn’t surprise me as I first became aware of their vast home shops in the 70’s when hearing of the small shops doing work for Toyota. There was a fascinating series on YouTube about all facets of Japanese life and a couple of them went through different small back alley shops that had been manufacturing for some of the owners lifetimes. A really fascinating one was how huge apartment buildings with fab shops on the bottom floors are being made. I love the idea, don’t know about the execution.

I bought just the head portion of the grinder instead of the whole grinder. I found that the OD of the deckle collet chuck was 25 mm. I located an ER-40 chuck with a 25 mm shank and am using it with a few mods (longer shank and 25 x 1.0 mm thread). I'm not quite finished with it yet but looks like it will work good and I already have a 32nd set of ER-40 collets.
Aaron

I bought just the head portion of the grinder instead of the whole grinder. I found that the OD of the deckle collet chuck was 25 mm. I located an ER-40 chuck with a 25 mm shank and am using it with a few mods (longer shank and 25 x 1.0 mm thread). I'm not quite finished with it yet but looks like it will work good and I already have a 32nd set of ER-40 collets.
Aaron
That’s fine if you have all kinds of x travel, for the U2 and U3 no cigar.

Back