Upgrading My Cnc Machine

I would keep the tape drive on the machine just for the cool factor.:cool: It doesn't have to do anything, but it would be a conversation starter:grin:

I would have to agree!!! I would be a shame to see that lost. I would imagine there are not many of those left in the world regardless of condition. I had no idea mills ever had tape storage. Is it magnetic or punch tape? It's so beautiful and super funky!

Just add the three components behind the mill in the first picture in this link, (and the guy too) and you're good to go!

http://www.cnccookbook.com/CCCNCMachine.htm

Jim,
Or anyone else who can answer this- what am I looking for in a controller board? I know the 4 axis I need and the 10V requirement, but what other requirements will I need? There are lots of 4 axis units, but I'm not sure what else I need to be looking for? I would like to run Mach 3 or use the Galil board with your program, so which boards should I be looking at? Do the numbers on the Galil DMC cards mean anything I should know? Sorry to be such a pain in the butt, this is pretty new to me and it's all in a foreign language....

Lots of Chinese stuff on ebay now that look like they may work, but makes me nervous being a guinea pig for this cheap stuff with no reviews or feedback to rely on.. like this one- http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Axis-Mach...623474?hash=item210c05bd32:g:rTkAAOSwkZhWST06 with the terminal connections I like.

Bob

Last edited:
Bob, I understand your confusion, there is a lot to digest in a short time. I have been working with motion control systems for over 20 years and I am still learning. I would go here: http://www.machsupport.com/software/plugins/ These are the devices that are supported by Mach3

The ''motion controller'' that you linked to above won't work in your application and it's not a motion controller. It's a USB interface device for Mach3 that outputs a step and direction signal for use with stepper motor drives. The 0-10V analog output is for the spindle VFD command signal only. There is also no provision for connecting encoders to that device.

A real motion controller uses a ''goto'' and speed input from the software and it does the trajectory planning and figures out the best way to handle that motion segment. Now in the case of Mach3/4, Mach actually does the trajectory planning, and sends out very short motion segments to the controller. Not my favorite way of doing things but it seems to work at milling machine speeds, not so much for high speed (not hobby class) routers as I found out. Mach4 may have fixed those problems.

In a Galil board you are looking for DMC-xxxx. The first two digits are the family (18xx, 20xx, 22xx, 40xx), the next digit is the number of axis. The last digit is the series. The 18 means it's a PCI card, a 17xx is a ISA Bus card. I haven't seen an ISA bus in a computer in years. All others are stand alone. An 1846 is the latest and greatest 4 axis PCI card. A 4040 is the top line stand alone 4 axis controller. http://www.galil.com/motion-controllers look through the current and leagacy controllers. Anything with a 3 digit part number is not useful to you. If you decide on Galil from ebay, contact me before you spend any money.

So what to look for in motion controllers
Analog AXIS output +/- 10 Volt (many motion controllers have step and direction output also)
Encoder Input
Mach3/4 compatible

Jim,
Sent you an email regarding a few controllers I found on ebay. Thanks again for all your help. Hope you are having a great and peaceful Easter.

Bob

Skip mach3! Look into linuxcnc and mesa electronics. They have an analog card that will work with your drives. A couple hundred bucks and you can have that thing running like a real machine.

Getting too old to learn a new computer language, among other things. Also, brought up the website and the first thing I noticed is the new version has come out with lots of bugs fixed? (by users?) I'm not too terribly computer savvy, but that doesn't sound like a good thing to me..... :) What about the bugs they missed?

Getting too old to learn a new computer language, among other things.

Aw come on Bob. :grin: I'm learning a new computer language right now while I'm rewriting my CNC software to run on Win10, and I'll bet I have a few years on you;) (67, last December):). It's just more of a struggle than it used to be.:faint:

I'm 61, just started learning about milling, and now I'm making my first CNC mill. Only a few months ago I knew totally nothing about it, and now, only a few months later, I realize I know even less than when I started!. Seems like a huge endeavor to take on at this point. :faint: I'm just hoping that when I'm super-duper really old like Jim :D I don't feel like I know even less than I do now! :rolleyes:

Time flies like an arrow, but fruit flies like bananas better.

Geez, we should start an old machinist club. I'm 63 but still feel like a teenager until I start doing things like this...

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Back