Used 1100 series 3

nighthawkFmobil

Registered
Registered
I came across a used 1100 series 3 a couple hours drive that was purchased by the seller new in 2013. He says it was used as a side business but hes moving out of state and doesnt want to continue making parts. Hes asking 10k for the 1100 and a bunch of extras like a rapid turn attachment, toolbox, workbench, taps, drills, endmills, inserts, ER collets, 5C collets and more. I have no experience with mills but I've been running a lathe as a hobby for the last year and Iove it. I have experience with the 3d printing and cad so cnc seems to be a natural progression. I just have no experience with used machines. I've kept my machine in good shape especially the ways but in the pics with the guy shared with me you can tell that he would put the thing up wet from time to time. Seems like a red flag to me that it could need some work.

Could all the oil stains and such likely accelerate wear to the point that the machine probably wouldn't be worth much anymore? I offered the guy 5k which he denied and then 6k plus an immediate haul just kinda hoping for extraordinary deal. hes in a pinch and needs the thing gone by the 20th of this month. Would there be good value at 6k for the machine? Is buying a used tormach just asking for a can of worms?if the setup is worth more and I'm just being too much of a low baller what would you pay?

Attachments

• 20210217_122607.jpg
    20210217_122607.jpg
    454.2 KB · Views: 51
  • 20210217_122543.jpg
    20210217_122543.jpg
    605.2 KB · Views: 48
About 3 years ago we paid ~ $8K for a new one from Tormach. That's just the base machine. By the time we were done though, we added about $10K of tooling and vices, etc. I'm not sure what they are asking these days for new machines. Maybe you could check with Tormach to see if they have any refurbished units.

I have a 2016 1100S3 that I bought used in June 2019. Mine was well used, but was also much better cared for than what your photos show.

My seller did some pre-sale DTI work for me like running the table to full travel in X with the indicator on the table. He shot videos of what Tormach calls "lost motion". Basically, tell the machine to go left, Zero, then move back to the right and see how much was "lost". It is adjustable to some extent, my machine had less than 0.002" in all of the axes.

I've run my machine for at least 200 hours spindle time and it's still quiet and tight. The seller had replaced the original spindle about 2 months before I bought the machine. I'd advise checking out the spindle under a load. Also, stick a length of 3/4" round stock in the R-8 collet and put an indicator on the rod. Turn the spindle and check for run out (which would be a combo of the rod, collet and spindle). With the rod in the collet and the power draw bar cinched tight, push on the rod to see how much the indicator moves. Mine does not move (0.0005" DTI) with hand pressure.

For comparison, I paid $16K for mine. I do not have the Rapidturn lathe attachment with I think runs around $2K. However, mine came with two Glacern 6" vises, the auto tool changer ($5K), 8" 4th axis, Saunders fixture table, couple of tombstones for the 4th axis, Haimer 3-D taster, 60+ TTS tool holders, Shear hog, vacuum pallet, around 40 end mills, plus some other stuff I don't remember. I'm assuming the machine you're looking at includes the PathPilot controller, touch-screen monitor, keyboard, etc.

I wouldn't hesitate on a used Tormach again, but condition is everything. From the 2 photos you attached, I wouldn't pay $10K based on what I've seen on other used offerings. Another consideration is Tormach is no longer selling the 1100 S3, just the 1100M and 1100MX. They "probably" will continue to source parts as needed, and hopefully will continue to consider the 1100 S3 as they update PathPilot, but there are no guarantees.

By the way, I drove from Michigan to Colorado to buy mine. It was a 2-day drive one way vs. your 2-hour drive. If the machine turns out to be a basket case, you're going to regret not driving a little further for a better-kept machine. You will easily blow away the time saved for a convenient drive in exchange for a weeks long, frustrating rebuild.

Bruce

By the way, here are a couple of 1100's current on Craig's List in TX. I used the search engine: www.searchtempest.com to find these. It also searches eBay. You can set your driving distance, price range, etc.

I'd say both are comparable to what I bought with the exception of the auto-tool changer. Tormach gets $5K for the ATC. Based on what I bought, I'd offer around $12K for the first one, $14K for the other.

Bruce

Asking $16,450. It's a 4-year old machine that looks to be in good shape. No ATC, but well equipped. Saunders tooling table, etc.

Asking $21,000 (seems high). It's a 8-year old machine that looks to be in good condition. Another well equipped machine with a 4th axis.

I came across a used 1100 series 3 a couple hours drive that was purchased by the seller new in 2013. He says it was used as a side business but hes moving out of state and doesnt want to continue making parts. Hes asking 10k for the 1100 and a bunch of extras like a rapid turn attachment, toolbox, workbench, taps, drills, endmills, inserts, ER collets, 5C collets and more. I have no experience with mills but I've been running a lathe as a hobby for the last year and Iove it. I have experience with the 3d printing and cad so cnc seems to be a natural progression. I just have no experience with used machines. I've kept my machine in good shape especially the ways but in the pics with the guy shared with me you can tell that he would put the thing up wet from time to time. Seems like a red flag to me that it could need some work.

Could all the oil stains and such likely accelerate wear to the point that the machine probably wouldn't be worth much anymore? I offered the guy 5k which he denied and then 6k plus an immediate haul just kinda hoping for extraordinary deal. hes in a pinch and needs the thing gone by the 20th of this month. Would there be good value at 6k for the machine? Is buying a used tormach just asking for a can of worms?if the setup is worth more and I'm just being too much of a low baller what would you pay?
I think it isn't a bad price if it comes with a bit of tooling. If the seller were willing to power it up to show it runs OK and do backlash tests then you'd have a good idea of what you are buying.

The price to get into a Tormach has shot up in the past years. You really don't get an 1100 today with a minimal set of tooling and accessories for under $15k delivered.

The do have spare parts available at good prices. For example a replacement spindle cartridge runs under $1k.

I wouldn't expect the staining to cause mechanical problems. If you see major rust damage then that could be a different story. Put in some elbow grease and get it cleaned up at home.

One thing to think about is: are you ok spending $6k on a hobby? Don't spend so much that you need to start making parts to pay off the machine (unless that is why you are buying it). If that is in-budget for you then great!

I think the fact that the seller is moving imminently will help your chances of walking away with a good deal.

Thanks guys. Great information. Really do appreciate you guys taking your time it's very kind.

Thanks guys. Great information. Really do appreciate you guys taking your time it's very kind.
Did you end up buying this machine? Really curious. I live in San Angelo (about 6 hours south of OP) and have just started looking for a Tormach in the general vicinity.

Back