[How do I?] Using/Maintaining Brazed Carbide Boring Bars

MyLilMule

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I have a couple questions in regards to those sets of boring bars with brazed on carbide. I bought a set from Shars with 3/4" shanks to fit into a boring head on the Bridgeport.

1) What should the relief angle be when I seat it into the boring head? I was thinking 5-10 degrees, but curious if that's correct.
2) I suspect that not all of the carbide is sharpened to the point it should be, and without a carbide tool grinder, what's the next best way to sharpen, or at least hone the carbide to ensure I am getting the best performance I can from them?

I bought a cheaper set - actually the bars with carbide brazed on came with the budget boring head. Didn't have a very good experience trying to use the kit on my mill. I just need to spend more time with it but haven't needed to use it since.

At a later point I read a post on this forum that said that the cheaper sets generally need to be sharpened before the will work well. On examining mine, it was clear that there was a lot of variation in the relief angles.

I ended up needing to use a few on my lathe without the head. At that point I had acquired my D-Bit grinder with diamond wheels and as able to accurately touch up the carbide bits. And as the post / comment suggested, it made a world of a difference in the results. So for me - a more rigid setup (on the lathe not using the boring head) and correctly sharpening the bits made a huge difference.

As to honing without some sort of wheel / sharpening setup, I do use a set of hand held diamond hones for touching up. However, the carbide is quite hard and the surface being honed it quite narrow - it is very easy to just end up rolling and basically ruining the edge.

I have used a diamond cut off wheel in a handheld rotary tool - it's a little easier to control because it will cut the carbide faster. Still fussy though. If I really had to do it by hand, I'd probably work out a way to hold the bit and hone it against a large flat diamond plate on a flat surface.

Regarding the relief angle - I'm sure someone will chime in with a specific number, but from my personal experience it is usually not that critical as long as you have the clearance you need. I think I reground my bits to ~7 deg from the flat / top.

With a boring bar, you can adjust the rake (top) by rotating the bar a little bit. This of course is limited by the relief / clearance and the size of the hole.

It was worth it to me to buy a used Baldor clone type carbide grinder.

I've been looking here and there, and it seems these are still pretty expensive (to me, anyway). The ones I have found with the twin diamond cups with the slanted rests are easily $300-$500 or even more. This one here is $500 on FB - even though it is nowhere near me, the point is, they are a lot more expensive that I would have thought. I'm guessing these are sealed motors?

344044892_24704077119205985_7259664423556704575_n.jpg

deleted

Last edited:
Recently bought 3/8th and 3/4 shank sets from Busy Bee (usually lower quality than your Harbour Freight ). Was surprised, they were properly ground and honed. Cut right out of the box.

Greg

You need to grind the relief to a bit smaller radius than the hole you are boring. relief right at cut edge of maybe 5 degrees crude drawing edn view.

top view - should cut right at the front edge with a tiny, 1/64 or so, radius. Then 5 degree relief going back.

Its going to cut best right at lathe center with cutter level - 0 rake angle.

Just like HSS, most of the work is in the correct tool grind.

boring.jpg

Last edited:
deleted

Last edited:
deleted

Last edited:
won't be "bothering" you anymore.

Back