Van Norman #12 base & column Split in two

HMF

Site Founder
Administrator
Hey Guys,

Here is something you won't see often. I was able to split the base of my Van Norman #12 from the column for transport into my basement. Together, they weigh about 800 pounds, so splitting them is a good idea BUT a major PITA. After splitting, the base weighs about 450, and the column 350. You need a 1/2" hex bit socket and a breaker bar, along with a 4" extension to get into the base from the large access opening to loosen the large cap bolts. After you remove all 8 bolts, you need to lift the base with an engine crane and get the halves to begin to separate. Do NOT jump on the base like I did- I broke one of the alignment pins (you can see it in the photograph). Instead, use a prybar, and gently pry the halves apart till the base falls onto some 4x4's you have below it.

I them loaded the base onto a 4 wheel 1000 pound capacity handtruck to be able to move it, and the column into a mover's dollie covered with plywood. to make that mobile as well.

DSC03115.gif DSC03120.gif DSC03119.gif DSC03116.gif

Attachments

• DSC03114.gif
    DSC03114.gif
    490.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited by a moderator:
Nelson
What year is your # 12 ?
Mine does not have the side covers on the base so I guess I would have to tip it over
to get those bolts ?
Thanks, Dave

Dave,

The one depicted is a 1946. The covers provide the only access point to the connecting bolts because the coolant tank is closed on the bottom.

I don't know of any without the covers, unless yours is newer. Get the serial number and check it against the numbers on this site:

http://jmkasunich.dyndns.org/vannorman/VN_Serial.htm

(by John Kasunich).

If you don't have the covers, I don't know how you would access the bolts. Let us see some photos.

Thanks,

Nelson

Hello Nelson
Mine is #5320 looks like 1940 from the link
just finished sand blasting the tower and got 1st coat of primer filler

Dave,

I don't understand the lack of any side doors.

Cal Haines is an expert. Let me ask him to take a look at it. You have me stumped.

I can see clearly that your base comes apart from the parting line, the question is access to the bolts. It must be through the bottom. Can you tip it to take a look?

Best,

Nelson

That's the first one I've seen where the knee elevation nut is integral with the base.

I have noticed the nut
I also noticed that others seem have a tray on top of the tower that mine does not have
How many variations were there of these machines ?

Honestly, I have no idea how many variations there were over the years. Quite a lot, it seems.

We know that the #12 inherited some major components (like the table) from an earlier vertical mill named the #1V. The base casting of the WWII era #12 (the one with the coolant sump and separate elevation nut) also sports a 1V part number, and therefore presumably came from the 1V. I've only seen one photo of a 1V, and no literature...I don't think they were as numerous as the #12 or other ram-type Van Normans.

There appears to have been a near-complete redesign after WWII, with newly patterned castings all around. Up until then, the #12 shared quite a few components with the contemporary #6, most notably the cutter head. After the redesign, the #12 had more commonality with the #16 (again, cutterhead) than with the #6.

The easiest way to determine if a machine is early or late is to look at the cutterhead. They are shaped quite differently, with the late one (also used on the #16) looking much like and egg. The tool try that yours is missing is a separate part on the early machines, but cast integral to the column in the later ones. There are also some table differences that can be used to identify vintage, but they are harder to spot.

Additionally there are numerous internal variations to the cutter heads and gearboxes. On another forum Cal Haines (who is also a member here) did an excellent job of detailing the differences in cutterheads. I am unaware of any similar treatment of the other major components.

Your machine seems to be an early one. I am curious to see the rest, and compare it to my own '42 and the later machines.

Josh

Hello Josh
I don't want to steal Nelson's post anymore than I have
Im going to start a new post under Van Norman with pictures
I would like to know why it's an odd ball
Thanks,Dave

Steal away!

I'm not touchy about that stuff.

I will be bringing this stuff down into my basement soon, now that I built the wall around the oil tank with the shelf to hold a lot of stuff.

I won't be doing it THIS weekend, because it is 100 degrees here in NYC and supposed to stay that way this weekend.

Nelson

Back