Van Norman, #12 or #22 for a home shop

gkbikers

Registered
Registered
Hello all.

I'm new here and new to machining tools in general. I have been studying the various web sites and forums trying to learn the basics of which machines are or might be suitable for a home shop.

The Van Normans are at the top of my list. I have been looking at a small number of units on both ebay and craigslist. I have actually put in bids on both a 12 and a 22, but did not win either.

So now, I thought I would step back and ask you guys which you prefer for a home shop and why? I have enough space to house pretty much any milling machine made, but I have learned that the largest, biggest, baddest, toughest, etc. is not always best (ouch, kind'a hard to say that!). I guess I have a little to much of the "Tim the toolman" syndrome. Anyway . . .

What is your opinion of the model 12 as compared to the model 22s and visa-versa. Pros and cons?

I look forward to your thoughts and opinions. :)

Thanks all.

gkbikers (Gary or Gig)

The Van Norman is a different kind of mill compared to the Bridgeport types. A friend bought a #12 last fall, but has yet to finish building the new shop, so it hasnt been used by him yet. Since he purchased the #12, I read everything I can find about them. They are a mill that is very different indeed. Being a Vert/Horz mill is a good thing. The #22 I am not familular with, but assume its a larger version of the 12. One thing I have noticed with the 12, is one could be limited with the size of work that fits regarding knee travel. The other thing is the collets are not very common, though we have heard of china reproduceing these now. The Horz arbours you will want to get these with the machine, as getting you hands on them later could prove to be interesting. Also the over arm for the horz arbours, you better make sure that is with the machine as well. Though that item could be made up to suite.

Im not knocking the Van Norman mills, but one must be carefull when buying, and get one with the tooling, collets/ arbours/ overarm, because that stuff is not easy to abtain later. As allready mentioned, the #12 dosnt have alot of daylite between the spindle and table, so you need to be certain, its big enough once you add a vice/ rotary table, or?
From what Ive seen of the #12, very nice mill, but to small for my needs. But thats just me. Nelson has a #12, and will see this thread, and no doubt have some tips on these machines. Good luck on your search.

Thanks Paul. Good points. I hadn't even thought about vices, etc. taking away the working room. Your other points are well taken too.

Please keep the comments coming guys. This will really be helpful to me (and maybe some other prospective owners?).

gkbikers

Back