Vcarve Pro

Toro5xi

Registered
Registered
I really would like a CNC mill but am hesitant to learn another CAM program. I think I know that Vcarve pro does not generate a file that say Tormach path pilot for their mills can open and run directly but could I save a CRV file from Vcarve pro and Open that in Pathpilot or would I still need to go through another CAM program? I’m totally confused why Tormach then recommends Vcarve for their CNC router.
I get lost when people discuss all the different file extensions and how to go from the CAM file to the CAD program?
Would someone mind just explaining the basics of how I get from the CAM, vector file?, to the CAD file and then I guess finally to the gcode file? I’ve read the terminology but just don’t have a grasp on how it all fits together.
Thanks for any help and basic education.

I use VCarve for my PrintNC CNC router.
Basically my workflow is this:
I draw whatever it is I am making in VCarve, (this is the CAD part).
I also set the tool and toolpath in VCarve, (this is the CAM part).
Then I export the resulting toolpath from VCarve onto a USB drive. This creates a txt file of gcode.
I know nothing of Tormach or their CNC router but I can say that VCarve does everything I need on my CNC router.

I could also use Fusion360 to do the CAD/CAM but find that it's overkill for the stuff I need.
This is a good site for basic CNC education.

Last edited:
Thanks David. I had the cad and cam pieces reversed. That helps.
I am using an axiom CNC. I can see where Vcarve lets me select the axiom machine which I am guessing creates the txt file specific to that machine and the gcode.
Is there an intermediate vector file before the gcode that could be saved and then opened in a CAM program that would them work for a CNC mill?
Thanks again.

Thanks David. I had the cad and cam pieces reversed. That helps.
I am using an axiom CNC. I can see where Vcarve lets me select the axiom machine which I am guessing creates the txt file specific to that machine and the gcode.
Is there an intermediate vector file before the gcode that could be saved and then opened in a CAM program that would them work for a CNC mill?
Thanks again.
I expect you could export the vector file from VCarve so long as you knew what format the CAM program required.
I know the CAM aspect of VCarve isn't as sophisticated as Fusion360 primarily because VCarve is typically used with wood and the toolpath setup needs for wood are not as demanding as for metal.

Thanks. I think I’ll start with one of the free CADCAM programs and see if I can open a file from Vcarve. I have read where people are using Vcarve for Plasma tables but yes it sounded like they needed to use another intermediate program to create the Gcode.

Thanks. I think I’ll start with one of the free CADCAM programs and see if I can open a file from Vcarve. I have read where people are using Vcarve for Plasma tables but yes it sounded like they needed to use another intermediate program to create the Gcode.
I don't think I understand the problem you're trying to solve.
I can understand why Vcarve is not a good match for a CNC plasma table as I can't imagine it has a post-processor for plasma.

I think I’m starting to understand this a little more. If the drawing portion of Vcarve is considered the CAD part and the Toolpath creation is the CAM Gcode section than the post processor just outputs the gcode in a format specific to the particular machine. Hope I am understanding this correctly.
It sounds like the CAM section of Vcarve is lacking a little but just because it was not intended for machining. If I still wanted to utilize Vcarve would it make sense to create the drawing in Vcarve and then export as a DXF file? I could then open the DXF in say Fusion 360 to create the Gcode. Maybe at that point I would have been better off just trying to learn Fusion 360.

I don't think I understand the problem you're trying to solve.
I can understand why Vcarve is not a good match for a CNC plasma table as I can't imagine it has a post-processor for plasma.
Im being lazy for sure and not sure I have the patience to learn Fusion 360 but it sounds like I need to quit procrastinating and get on with it.

Yes you've got that correct.
It all depends on what you're trying to make. If it's a simple 2D part in aluminum then Vcarve might be sufficient. I also use Fusion360 but the learning curve is steeper. Its CAM is more powerful which also means more to learn.

Back