Very few PM 12x36T Videos...

I don’t do videos, but I have some posts on my 1236T, what in particular are you looking for?
I went thread hopping and read thru your 1236T 1 year Review post... glad to see you found everything about the lathe serviceable where it counts, It will be interesting to see if my lathe has some of the same cosmetic defects as yours.

I also found it odd that this Ultra Precision lathe comes with an "Economy 3J chuck", fortunately I have a Bison chuck ready to install from a previous lathe, I am also thinking about picking up the PM ER-40 collet chuck as well.

The lathe has been resting on the pallets it shipped with for about a year, I sure hope the bed didn't develop a twist after sitting so long.

Curious if you took that direct flight to China that cost $14,000 ? I am guessing no..:)

Mike.

Curious if you took that direct flight to China that cost $14,000 ? I am guessing no..:)
No, my wife went by herself on that trip and flew through London for I think $1,800. Still more expensive than it normally cost to go there, but a far cry from the direct flights! That trip was supposed to be 3 weeks, but my mother-in-law fell while cleaning the apartment and badly broke her arm and required surgery, so my wife ended up staying there 2 months. My wife and daughter are going back in a couple weeks and still need to take a connecting flight since direct flights are still very expensive and hard to get. I’m staying home with my son since this trip is mostly to help get my MIL’s financials in order since she is getting up there in age, and the tickets with a connection are still over $2,000.

I also found it odd that this Ultra Precision lathe comes with an "Economy 3J chuck", fortunately I have a Bison chuck ready to install from a previous lathe, I am also thinking about picking up the PM ER-40 collet chuck as well.
That surprised me too, it works, but I was expecting better. I am looking into getting a better quality chuck with 2 piece jaws, but that hasn’t become a high priority yet, but if I need soft jaws…. I have the PM ER40 and 5c collet chucks, I think I have some posts on that too. Both needed a little bit of deburring, but have worked well since tuning them up.

I still need to fix the gear speed lever detents, my “solution” worked better, but it still doesn’t work as well as I would like. I am thinking of filling in the detents with something like JB Weld and then redrill the detents to a consistent depth.

Overall I am still very happy the lathe, other than a few minor problems, it has worked well. I think you will be happy with it once you get it installed.

I cant locate my 6" Starrett level, The flats across the ways on the 1236-T are just shy of 6" which is spot on, Down the road I intend to pick up a small manual 7x28 or 833t mill, Cutting mostly steel stuff.

Question -> with a small mill in mind, should I just get another 98-6" or jump to the 98-8". Also what about the ‎Edge Technology tailstock alignment bar, Is it worth getting one these.?

Thanks Mike.

Update: Saw a great deal on eBay for the 98-8" sold by a 100% positive seller, So I grabbed it.

Last edited:
That surprised me too, it works, but I was expecting better. I am looking into getting a better quality chuck with 2 piece jaws, but that hasn’t become a high priority yet, but if I need soft jaws…. I have the PM ER40 and 5c collet chucks, I think I have some posts on that too. Both needed a little bit of deburring, but have worked well since tuning them up.

PM has a 15pc SAE and 26pc Metric ER-40 collet sets, Accusize has a 23pc SAE collet set which includes the full range of ER-40 collets that include 32nd sizes.

I ordered the PM ER-40 collet chuck and just need to choose a collet set, Cost wise I can get both the Pm SAE & Metric sets or get the complete SAE Accusize set... I don't expect ill be doing much in metric sizes, I just need an ER-40 set to make 3/8 to 3/4 Washers, Bushings, Stand Offs & Spacers for work..

What set do you think would be best suited... I was thinking the Accusize set, cause the extra six 32nd sizes would fill the gap if I need to do some metric size work due to the work size flexibility of the ER collets..?

A lot of my lathe tooling brand will be Accusize, Such as tool post & holders... But I am fine with either choice, Thanks in advance, Mike.

I have the 15 piece inch collet set, I would get the metric if I were doing it again. I bought the inch set thinking it would be better for raw stock, but with the clamping range of ER collets, the metric set should handle any size stock you would use. I machine to metric dimensions for most of my projects, so there are times the inch set does not work well. My 5c collet set is metric and I buy individual inch collets as they are needed.

I have the 15 piece inch collet set, I would get the metric if I were doing it again. I bought the inch set thinking it would be better for raw stock, but with the clamping range of ER collets, the metric set should handle any size stock you would use. I machine to metric dimensions for most of my projects, so there are times the inch set does not work well. My 5c collet set is metric and I buy individual inch collets as they are needed.

Hello thanks for the info...

My intentions were to buy both sets that Pm offers " SAE and Metric " or just the complete SAE set by Accusize..! are you thinking I may only need to buy the PM Metric set to cover all my bases...?

I am guessing I'll also need to make or buy a spindle spider to use short 2' lengths of raw stock. Thick Washers will be from steel and Spacers will be plastic. I need bunches so I will be getting lots of parting practice :)

Can’t provide videos or specific info on the model. But, I do have a Taiwan built 12x36 and think it’s just about the perfect size for a hobby shop.

I suspect many of your questions will be answered once you start setting it up. If not, that’s what we’re all here for….

John
Hi John, Long time no see... Much appreciate your help sir, Thanks in advance.

Question.. What did you use to clean the Cosmoline off your lathe..? Also what are you coating your exposed bare metal surfaces with that don't get a regular wipe down with oil.

Thanks Mike.

Last edited:
Hello thanks for the info...

My intentions were to buy both sets that Pm offers " SAE and Metric " or just the complete SAE set by Accusize..! are you thinking I may only need to buy the PM Metric set to cover all my bases...?

I am guessing I'll also need to make or buy a spindle spider to use short 2' lengths of raw stock. Thick Washers will be from steel and Spacers will be plastic. I need bunches so I will be getting lots of parting practice :)
After thinking about it a bit more, there are some inch sizes that might not work well with just a metric set, so getting the inch and metric, or the Accusize would probably be the better option. Which is the better option would depend on what sizes you would be doing in metric. It looks like the 1/32” collets would be close enough for most sizes, but there could be some where the metric is better. Keep in mind you can’t go bigger than the stated size, but you can go quite a bit smaller, but as you go smaller, the runout could increase, so you want to stay as close to the stated size as you can. For my use, the inch size for raw stock and the metric set would be ideal, but for you with occasional metric use, I’m thinking the Accusize might be better.

I built a spider for my spindle, but I also made threaded bushings to make it quicker to support raw stock, just thread the bushing into the holder and no dialing it in. I’m on the fence as to which is better, I have to make a bushing for each size stock, vs getting the stock centered with an adjustable spider.

Hi John, Long time no see... Much appreciate your help sir, Thanks in advance.

Question.. What did you use to clean the Cosmoline off your lathe..? Also what are you coating your exposed bare metal surfaces with that don't get a regular wipe down with oil.

Thanks Mike.
Hi Mike,

Since I bought my lathe used I only had to clean it with WD40, that should work or kerosene. Also could use any commercial cleaning tank solvent, I would just stay away from water based stuff. Way oil or my favorite hydraulic oil will keep rust at bay, probably just keep a squirt can of whatever you normally use on the ways or headstock.

John

I would definitely clean it as good as you can before placing it on the stand. You will be able to get around it easier, so you are more likely to do a better job. I used WD40 and paper towels. I used to work for a German machinery manufacturer, they would hit the roof if they saw someone using steel wool or Scotch Bright pads on machined surfaces, so that is never used on my machines. The WD40 works, but with lots of elbow grease, there might be something better, but that is what I had.
Hello, Years back the Machine Coatings were a bit drier more waxie then the coating on this machine... Even after a year sitting, when i uncovered and checked the lathe last night the coatung was still wet... WD40 should work well and is what I also spray in parts baggies for long term storage.

I still need to fix the gear speed lever detents, my “solution” worked better, but it still doesn’t work as well as I would like. I am thinking of filling in the detents with something like JB Weld and then redrill the detents to a consistent depth.

Overall I am still very happy the lathe, other than a few minor problems, it has worked well. I think you will be happy with it once you get it installed.
When I called PM about the sealed lathe Oils & shelf life since the lathe has been sitting since may of last year, they said it has an indefinit life while sealed.. so no issue there.

While on the phone I asked about your Missplaced gear change detents, and useing JB-Weld to fill and redrill to fix, they said nothing negative to say about the fix... I Kinda got the impression he either talked to you about this or has heard of this happening a time or two.

So I'm thinking it may be a good idea to check my lathe just in-case before I start burning it in.

After thinking about it a bit more, there are some inch sizes that might not work well with just a metric set, so getting the inch and metric, or the Accusize would probably be the better option. Which is the better option would depend on what sizes you would be doing in metric. It looks like the 1/32” collets would be close enough for most sizes, but there could be some where the metric is better. Keep in mind you can’t go bigger than the stated size, but you can go quite a bit smaller, but as you go smaller, the runout could increase, so you want to stay as close to the stated size as you can. For my use, the inch size for raw stock and the metric set would be ideal, but for you with occasional metric use, I’m thinking the Accusize might be better.
PM said pretty much what your saying, there is bound to be runout & repeatability issues trying mix metric with inch collets and visa versa, so I just picked up their 15pc SAE set, when I asked about the spider he liked your idea of using inserts for each size of rod in use.
Hi Mike,

Since I bought my lathe used I only had to clean it with WD40, that should work or kerosene. Also could use any commercial cleaning tank solvent, I would just stay away from water based stuff. Way oil or my favorite hydraulic oil will keep rust at bay, probably just keep a squirt can of whatever you normally use on the ways or headstock.

John
Hi John..
Do you think I could use a spray bottle with "way oil" to lightly mist everything thats bare metal and not wipe it off, I have a moisture cover for the lathe when its not in use, so Im not too worried about dust build over time..?

Back