VFD on stock 2J Head bridgeport 3 phase motor ?

Does anybody have a wiring diagram and what VFD to use and how to wire my drum switch with it so I have reverse. Im not a electrician so anything would help so . I can do this Thanks Dave

If you use a Lenze SMvector the diagram to wire it is on page 34 or 35 of the manual. There are 3 diagrams, the 1st is a regular drum switch, the 2nd is a push button forward/reverse/off. You then just have to program the VFD as it states above the diagram. I believe it's P122 and P128 factor needs to be changed to 1

That's not correct. You can use the existing switch by wiring the switch into the VFD and programming it to bypass the control. The speed control will not be affected. I just did this on a SB heavy 10.
I think that is what I said, and I think we agree. The motor on/off and forward/reverse must be controlled on the low voltage, control side of the VFD, at least when the VFD is powered up.

Correct, the VFD can't be used as a phase converter, (although it technically is) but the machine switch can be wired into the VFD to replace the on/off switch on the VFD. If that's what is meant by the low voltage side.

I have stock drum switch how do . I wire it into VFD to stock 3 phase motor on Bridgeport ? Do I just come from 110 volt out of wall to drum switch and then to VFD ? And whats the best quality and value on buying a VFD ?

I have stock drum switch how do . I wire it into VFD to stock 3 phase motor on Bridgeport ? Do I just come from 110 volt out of wall to drum switch and then to VFD ? And whats the best quality and value on buying a VFD ?

VFD's are not designed to have the power disconnected by a switch, so you should run the power feed direct to the VFD without a switch. The VFD needs to perform ON/OFF function in addition to changing the frequency. VFD's often have 24V terminals which can be wired to external switches for remote ON/OFF. Hence you could technically run small gauge 24V wires to/from the drum switch to use this for ON/OFF/Reverse. The exact wiring depends on the model of VFD you purchase. Some models have a front panel which can be mounted remote from the VFD to perform ON/OFF/Reverse and frequency change.

Power goes from the source to the VFD to the motor. Then you have to wire the drum switch into the VFD and program it. For a Lenze VFD like I use the wiring diagram is found here at the link. Motor wiring is on page 15 and 16 and the switch wiring can be found on page 31. The 1st diagram is for a drum switch, the 2nd is for a 3 button switch. They then have to be "commissioned" which means programmed by the "P" code found above the diagram.

http://www.actechdrives.com/PDF/AC-Tech/AC-Tech-SMVector-Drive-User-Manual.pdf

I recommend using external control switches rather than the keypad wherever possible with a VFD. The keypads on the VFD's are sometimes not the highest quality. and with time they can fail, leaving you with a compromised VFD. The switches can fail entirely (does nothing) or can get oxidized, which will cause it make a poor contact, and those things can get maddening ( and get worse) quickly. With external switches for the functions you use regularly, they can be mounted in a more convenient location and can be replaced easily and cheaply.

I recommend using external control switches rather than the keypad wherever possible with a VFD. The keypads on the VFD's are sometimes not the highest quality. and with time they can fail, leaving you with a compromised VFD. The switches can fail entirely (does nothing) or can get oxidized, which will cause it make a poor contact, and those things can get maddening ( and get worse) quickly. With external switches for the functions you use regularly, they can be mounted in a more convenient location and can be replaced easily and cheaply.

Yes Bob and I'll add that I do use the remote keypad for my Automation Direct VFDs but I only use the speed control pot function while operating. The logic level control inputs are switched with industrial quality units which have robust contacts that wipe away any oxidation problems. The other strong suggestion I might reiterate (as have many on this thread) is connect the motor to the VFD directly without any switches or other disconnects. The only exception to that, in my opinion, is if one is having a VFD being used for more than one motor. In this case it is VERY important to disconnect the power into the VFD before switching the output to an alternate load.

Back