Viability of welding cast cross slide tool post?

JustTrimitaLittle

Registered
Registered
In my “why I shoulda walked away” lesson today I realized the cross slide took post holder on my recently (and stupidly) acquired Atlas TH42 is snapped right off. I looked for impact damage but didn’t actually look to see if it was broken clean off. It almost looks like they just cranked the holder down and kept on using it as it was. Is there any chance a weld would be rigid enough or even true enough to even attempt to have it done? I’m going to keep my eye on the auction site but right now I’m not seeing much other than a new machined one. I’d really like to keep it looking period correct. But I’ll have to do what I have to do.

Attachments

• IMG_5384.jpeg
    IMG_5384.jpeg
    343.9 KB · Views: 62
  • IMG_5385.jpeg
    IMG_5385.jpeg
    325.2 KB · Views: 61
The problem is it intersects the compound ways, so brazing it back together would require remachining the compound, followed by scraping, to get everything really functional.

Short of finding a new compound, you could go with making a solid block tool post to completely replace the compound.

Yep, replacement part. I had to buy one for a Craftsman lathe I restored and it cost nearly as much as I paid for the lathe.

Good point about the plinth though. You could make one and carry on using the machine until a reasonably priced part comes available. Wouldn't be able to thread but should be able to do everything else.

John

With no machines to make anything it’ll be a buying thing for sure. I was just doing some looking around and seen a post from another site saying to contact Clausing, is it actually possible they still have parts like this?

Also after reading it really seems like it’d be foolish of me to spend on an original one. They appear to be semi fragile. And as a complete newbie I’m going to be prone to breaking stuff.

I’m half tempted to just part this thing out and start over with some of the lessons I’ve learned.

Could you measure across the dove tails with some 3/8 drill bits and calipers to see what you get. Someone here may have a workable, similar part. My SB9 measures 2.075 across with a depth of .265"

Attachments

• 20240420_162918.jpg
    20240420_162918.jpg
    530.2 KB · Views: 8
I got 2.25 across and .282 deep.

Did they really make that many different castings that are all so similar with atlas/craftsman? Looking at them all from 6”-12” they all look like the same design. Why would they make small variantions. Seems inefficient production wise.

Close enough and the gib would take up the play? That what it seems like would be the case with all the other atlas models.

That is the general idea. Would need some standardized measurements. Should be 60 degree dovetails.

In my “why I shoulda walked away” lesson today I realized the cross slide took post holder on my recently (and stupidly) acquired Atlas TH42 is snapped right off. I looked for impact damage but didn’t actually look to see if it was broken clean off. It almost looks like they just cranked the holder down and
Yep, replacement part. I had to buy one for a Craftsman lathe I restored and it cost nearly as much as I paid for the lathe.

Good point about the plinth though. You could make one and carry on using the machine until a reasonably priced part comes available. Wouldn't be able to thread but should be able to do everything else.

John
Lots of guys cut threads without the compound. I have been doing it for over 50 years. I’m sure there is an you tube showing how.

kept on using it as it was. Is there any chance a weld would be rigid enough or even true enough to even attempt to have it done? I’m going to keep my eye on the auction site but right now I’m not seeing much other than a new machined one. I’d really like to keep it looking period correct. But I’ll have to do what I have to do.

John

Back