Vise Rehab

Yeah, If it was functional and sound, I'd go for JB weld or a Devcon product and clean it up. I'm pretty sure welding CI isn't for the faint-hearted.

Good luck.

Doug

My vise is filled with tons of holes from a previous, previous, owner. They do not hurt a thing although they do collect fine chips.

Do you have a welding shop nearby that can TIG them with NI99 rod or braze the holes? Then work the filler down barely down past the surface of the vise, maybe by a thou and you'll be set. You need to get them below the surface because filler will expand and contract differently than the bed of the vise, and you don't want it popping above the bed of the vise.

I would use Devcon liquid steel, I love that stuff, works great! And then carefully draw file smooth. If you weld it, first you must be a good welder, that kind of welding requires some talent and knowledge. Then, you are not guaranteed it won’t crack and or warp after welding. The Devcon stuff is also a pretty good color match to cast iron and holds up well to abrasion. Try it, you might like it…Good Luck.

Thanks again, all. I'll post again when I get it done.

Could a person just mill out the bad sections, say 1/8" deep and then lay in a new slab of CI over the areas? You'd have to have it ground to match the original surface most likely but I would think it's possible.

JMHO

-Ron

I marvel at how someone could be so utterly clueless as to drill through the entire bed of a vise without being aware of it.

That kind of thing amazed me, too, before I had employees. . .

That kind of thing amazed me, too, before I had employees. . .

I think OSHA would have some complains if employees would be obliged to keep their hand between the piece and the vise… but guys nicknamed "sieved hand" would hardly find a job in a shop.
:roflmao:

No,you certainly cannot just mill the holes away. The vise's screw would no longer even begin to line up with everything. You would also end up with a weak,flexible vise.

If you must do something,fill the holes as suggested. Welding or brazing will end up with warping the base. Then,you will have another bunch of problems worse that the holes. You might spend the cost of a new vise having everything re ground. And,the screw might not line up of much was taken off.

I wouldn't have a problem with welding/filling the holes. Take the jaws and screw etc off and clamp it to a flat surface. TIG weld the holes tap and put a screw into the really deep ones. Let them cool and dress flat ( face mill or grind). Check the hardness with the old file method.
I have used this method to repair firing pin holes that have become too large and rarely does it change the heat treatment.

No,you certainly cannot just mill the holes away. The vise's screw would no longer even begin to line up with everything. You would also end up with a weak,flexible vise.

If you must do something,fill the holes as suggested. Welding or brazing will end up with warping the base. Then,you will have another bunch of problems worse that the holes. You might spend the cost of a new vise having everything re ground. And,the screw might not line up of much was taken off.

Thanks George. I didn't know if just cutting off an eighth or so of the surface would cause the vise to warp. Good to know.

-Ron

Back