VN 10" dividing head question

deker

Registered
Registered
I recently got my hands on a 10" swivel dividing head to use w/ my VN #12, and I was extra happy to see that it has the entire gear set for running the dividing head from the X axis on my #12 (yes, I also have the banjo for the gears, it just wasn't in the picture). What I don't have are the center for the tailstock, or a chuck for the dividing head (I do have a draw bar for collets at least though).

I'm wondering if anybody here knows the size and thread pitch of the nose on the dividing head so I can try to figure out a chuck and mounting plate.

Also, are the tailstock centers relatively easily found, or will I have to make something there?

I also picked up a slotting head, which I haven't really had a chance to take a look at yet, but I'll need to figure out some tooling for eventually.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 20220403_155414(0).jpg
    20220403_155414(0).jpg
    220.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 20220403_155421.jpg
    20220403_155421.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 22
  • 20220403_155445.jpg
    20220403_155445.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 21
Hey deker ! How have you been ? Knife making still going I hope . :) Is the Johnson saw still cutting it ? ( no pun intended ) :grin:

That gear set is actually a Brown & Sharpe short lead and feed reducing attachment, the card in the slot at the near side of the box describes its use.
When in use, a dog clutch on the feed rod under the table is disengaged, the attachment is attached and change gears are mounted on the table screw and the inner keyed shaft that revolves on the table screw and a pair of gears in tandem on the shaft/bracket on the end of the table, the two gears in tandem are connected by dog clutches on the hubs of the gears and arranged so that they can be disengaged when cranking the table back to its starting position; what with the 10:1 ratio on the attachment, this is a necessary feature. I have the same attachment for my milling machine, a B&S #2 universal. Their book, "Practical treatise on milling and milling machines" illustrated the attachment and describes its use.

The collar that is sitting on the wood peg in the box does not belong there, the peg is intended to provide a safe place for the washer that is on the bolt with the slot on its face, the collar with the integral key is not used on the attachment, I guess it was used on some other machine part, my machine does not have anything like it.

Another thing that I forgot to mention is that the attachment reduces table feeds by a factor of 20:1, which can be handy when using fly cutters, that is single tooth cutters, and also reduces the spiral leads in the table of leads by the same factor, leads as short as .0125" per turn being possible.

Congrats on getting some cool accessories. Where did you get the slotter head? Can't you just measure the OD of the dividing head spindle nose and count the TPI?
You will likely need to measure your tailstock body to make the missing part. If a center for a VN tailstock is floating around, it's not marked as such and likely in a scrap can.

Back