VN 1R-3 Thoughts/Info

greg19606

Registered
Registered
Hi All,
Been lurking for awhile, finally got some space to get a shop setup in. I've been dreaming of a Deckel FP2 or MAHO which by the time you find all the pieces are well out of my budget. Recently ran into a VN 1R-3 and it looks like a good match but haven't seen them talked about too much. Was curious if anyone has run one and how they liked it or any gotchas?

The other part is my shop is in a daylight basement so it will have to go down a few steps, was looking to see of anyone has disassembled one of these and had any tips or rough ideas of what various parts weigh? Mostly concerned about getting the ram off can't tell if there are any decent rigging points, and it looks like it has to slide off vs a lift. Worried about getting into a spot where the ram slides forward and drops into space.

Thanks!
Greg

I assume that the ram has a locking device that would prevent movement.

Van Normans are beefy and reasonably priced- Not sure what size a 1R-3 is but the #6 is a good size for home shops
Index are also nice. I'd probably pick an Index over a VN- they are still being supported

Sometimes a machine picks US, not we pick the machine --- How about some pictures, otherwise it does not exist!

Having just recently disassembled and reassembled a VN12, which is somewhat a predecessor to the 1R-3, you may be able to lift the ram directly upward after removing the gib. On the No. 12, one side of the ram dovetail is a 90 degree edge, and the gib turns it into a 45-deg dovetail.

I understand the 1R-3 to be substantially heavier and larger than a 12 though (maybe 3000 lbs?), so good luck and be careful trying to take it down stairs. Maybe just hire some professional riggers to do the job.

Back