VN22L accessories / boring drilling adapter?

Daryl has a point concerning the advancement. So slow.

22 - 3104 01.jpg22 - 3104 02.jpg

22 - 3104 03.jpg22 - 3104 04.jpg
22 - 3104 05.jpg22 - 3104 06.jpg
22 - 3104 07.jpg

So that version seems to be a straight shaft which takes some tapered shank drill chucks/boring heads?

And then it seems to have a keyslot in the shaft for being driven by the spindle rotation?

There was so much in that auction lot that was neither pictured or listed. Clamping / Mounting kits are a perfect example. There were some great pieces still mounted on the mill table.

22M 7487 02.jpg

Would've been nice to have those!
But, look at what all came in Lot 37. 5/8" mounting hardware parts are piled onto my kit in the background. All of this 1/2" mounting hardware is from the auction.

HALF + 5 EIGHTHS.jpg

Last edited:
Learning to clamp directly to the table opens up lots of opportunity, especially for large or variably shaped parts.
I recall thinking I had to have a good vise in order to good work.
Be sure to do some reading about hold downs and hold down placement.

Daryl
MN

These are the Van Norman items presented in the auction that, yes, I did receive (except for the mill itself). Much has been learned & much will be documented & shared on an individual item basis! The actual mill is intriguing on account of it's 22M serial - yet it is a Universal. The Y - Axis matches a 24. The Overarm Support fits at least 2 - 24s that I know of (a little short though). The Arbor Supports are usable on any VN machine with the same round overhead arm. So, as you find these supports listed, they can be adapted to your 22 & larger machines with the round support.

Attachments

• INVENTORY.jpg
    INVENTORY.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 6
These are the Van Norman items presented in the auction that, yes, I did receive (except for the mill itself). Much has been learned & much will be documented & shared on an individual item basis! The actual mill is intriguing on account of it's 22M serial - yet it is a Universal. The Y - Axis matches a 24. The Overarm Support fits at least 2 - 24s that I know of (a little short though). The Arbor Supports are usable on any VN machine with the same round overhead arm. So, as you find these supports listed, they can be adapted to your 22 & larger machines with the round support.

A great collection of stuff.

About the Drilling / Boring head, there is newly clarified information. I'll start with old pic of the item in question:

00 B&D HEAD 1942 CATALOG.jpg

The little sleeve pictured along the straight shaft is for mounting in a B&S 13 type spindle. There would be a similar sleeve (which, once you see how it works isn't really a sleeve at all) for using this in an NMTB50 spindle. Both types have a key that slides up & down the long keyway in the straight shaft. So picture it fitting through this spindle:

20210821 VN2 ADDAPTER.jpg

That thing, I called a sleeve as actually the driver. The shaft fits MT3 tooling. Hope this helps.

Just realized that I hadn't shown the driver yet. It is so close, in comparison to the collet adapter that it took me a while to realize I even had it! I'd sure like to know more about the mill this came with. Can you imagine an NMTB50 22MU?

NMTB50 DRIVE SLEEVE INSTALLED 01.jpg

interesting. Would be interesting to know how much run out and play there is with that assembly when boring.

Back