Waste Oil Foundry Atomizer Plans?

I don't quite see how that one generates the low pressure zone. You'll need to pump the oil in I believe.

I'd rather use something like this:

diagram.png

Being in the northeast, check for an oil furnace burner. You supply 110v, and oil. It makes the fire. A nice, neat package. Not much to go wrong on them, nozzles are fairly inexpensive, and it's an integrated design that doesn't require a compressor to run. I have one a friend in Michigan gave me, need to drag it out and have a go at it.

I don't quite see how that one generates the low pressure zone. You'll need to pump the oil in I believe.

I'd rather use something like this:

diagram.png
Thank you, Tony! I don't think you would have to pump air in, because of the Venturi effect at the nozzle I think a gravity fed system would work fine for the diagram you showed. In the one I'm making, the oil hopper will be air pressure fed (~1 PSI) with a regulator on the feed tube.

Being in the northeast, check for an oil furnace burner. You supply 110v, and oil. It makes the fire. A nice, neat package. Not much to go wrong on them, nozzles are fairly inexpensive, and it's an integrated design that doesn't require a compressor to run. I have one a friend in Michigan gave me, need to drag it out and have a go at it.

Would that be hot enough to melt aluminum?

Hmm, I'm thinking the other way round I guess. I figure the airflow would generate a vacuum and pull the oil in. If it were thick or heavy, it may need gravity assist at least. A few feet of head pressure.

Hmm, I'm thinking the other way round I guess. I figure the airflow would generate a vacuum and pull the oil in. If it were thick or heavy, it may need gravity assist at least. A few feet of head pressure.

No, your thinking correct :)

I agree, with the diagram you showed oil delivery would be much simpler, the Venturi effect would create a vacuum at the nozzle and suck oil in, the system I showed would require a pressurized feed, or a gravity feed with more head pressure.

Building that one you showed would be a toughie though, as I do not have a welder of oxy torch to braze or hard solder. Tig is on the want list, but I need money and justification first.....

I would just use a tweco welding tip with a couple of t valves. I have done this with forge burners to mix propane and with my mill mist sprayer- same idea...

Here is a pic of the tips: 4PE85_AW99.JPG

I would just use a tweco welding tip with a couple of t valves. I have done this with forge burners to mix propane and with my mill mist sprayer- same idea...

Here is a pic of the tips:

That might work, I'll keep it in mind. Thanks!

I have been using waste oil to heat my auto repair shop (6000 sq ft ) for the last 25 years and is very efficient. My unit uses two preheaters to thin out the oil, a low pressure oil pump, small vane air pump and a special spiral mixing nozzle. It runs on 4 PSI oil pressure and 12 psi air pressure and generates 300,000 BTU's. Rather than reinventing the wheel it may be more feasible to purchase a waste oil heater nozzle ( $40.00) and fabricate the preheater mixing block which is quite a simple design. It is made out a 1.5" x 1.5" x 8" aluminum block with the nozzle threaded in the end. If there is any interest I can take some photos of a disassembled assembly tomorrow. Tony Wells illustration above, thread #2, is very close to the commercial oil burner that I use. Bob

Back