Welding clamp swivel mod

keeena

H-M Supporter - Gold Member
H-M Supporter Gold Member
I like the Tweco C-clamp style ground clamps because they have wider capacity and more positive connection than spring clamps. Normally the ground lead is just bolted to the end. This works fine but a little annoying to me because the wire sometimes is oriented which gets in the way or bends awkwardly. Minor nit, but we can make it better. Simple change to make it swivel; not a unique idea but here's how I did it.

Added a 5/16" set screw to clamp the main retaining bolt. I didn't want the set screw to damage the bolt threads; regular brass tip would probably be OK but possibly could mar the bolt threads. What I did was make a brass insert which has a threaded end matching the thread profile of the main bolt. Picture says it all; hold the brass in the hole and chase the threads. You want to make sure you mark the orientation of the brass.

PXL_20231202_173750432.jpg

Most of the final parts. 3" bolt with 1/2" of threads cut off; this is so there isn't any threaded material mucking up the inside of the 5/8" long revolving brass ring (not in pic). The spring is a #15 (1-1/2" long, 11/16" OD, 0.080wg). The brass washer is just to prevent marring up the swivel ring. Also sanded and polished ends of the spring wire so they wouldn't dig in to the bolt or washer. Also want to clean up any burrs on the face of the clamp surface for good contact area.
PXL_20231202_180506468.jpg

Dropping the thread-matched brass tip in the right orientation. If doing again, I'd make this part with a nub which would be a loose fit into axially-drilled grub screw. This would just give you something to hold onto to orient it when dropping it in.
PXL_20231202_180725609.jpg

Final product.
PXL_20231202_180817483.jpg

Very minor thing, but makes it a bit nicer to use.

Back