Welding Clamps

How did you machine the spheres? They look too smooth to be 3d contoured, did you use a corner rounding endmill?

Andre, I used a 3d tool path with a .01 step over. After machining on the mill I put them in the lathe and used some scotch bright to polish a little bit.

I am considering building something like this using Aluminum or SS balls from McMaster. Which material would be better? What about brass? (I could cast those) What size should I go for? There is a HUGE price jump from 3/4 to 1". Would 3/4 give sufficient holding power? (I am doubtful)
Kevin- how rigid are these when locked up?
R

RWM,
The reason I decided to use aluminum was to reduce the cost of the project, I knew I could machine them myself and I found out like you did it would be fairly expensive to buy them. I used a 3d tool path to machine the spheres but if you have a lathe with a ball turner you can machine them yourself.

I used 1 inch diameter and also 3d cut a partial 1 inch sphere into the aluminum side plates to add more surface area for clamping. The clamps seem to hold fairly well and take quite a bit of force to make them slip.
004.JPG
I would use 1 inch diameter not only for the surface area for clamping but if you use 3/4 you might need to use smaller diameter rod to fit in between the clamping plates, I used a 1/2 diameter rod.

If I were to use the clamps allot steel would be the preferred material but I don't weld very often so I think aluminum will work fine.

Kevin

Last edited by a moderator:
McMaster-Carr has a package of 10, 1" balls for $6. That's what I used when I made mine. My version can be made with a drill press, belt sander and a welder, It uses a line contact between the ball and the side plates which being steel on steel doesn't hold as well as the aluminum version. Adding the semi-hemisphere contact area would be an improvement but I don't have CNC capability.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#96455k62/=zumdu0

weld1.JPG
weld2.JPG
weld3.JPG

Nice job on the clamps sanddan! I must have misread the price on the 1.0 balls or I didn't see them on McMaster-Car, I thought they were $6 each! Wish I would have know, it would have saved me allot of work. You can add the 1.o semi-hemisphere into the side clamps by using a 1.0 ballnose endmill to plunge into the clamp. Not everyone has a 1.0 ballnose laying around though.

Kevin

Wwow! Thatsa lotta machinin'! I can only guess is that you own a NC machine. 'Cause thata lotta crankin' and twistin'. Nice work!.

Hey guys. I know this is an old thread but has anyone tried to make one of these like a giant Noga holder? Seems like the single locking point would be a great advantage and not too hard to make.
Robert

Just curious, how long center of ball to center of ball?

Hey guys. I know this is an old thread but has anyone tried to make one of these like a giant Noga holder? Seems like the single locking point would be a great advantage and not too hard to make.
Robert

IMG_9375.JPG

Just curious, how long center of ball to center of ball?

arvidj

The center distance is 8 inches. I should have threaded the rods so I could use short or long rods as needed.

Kevin

Back