What accessories did you add to your PM Mill?

Geswearf

Registered
Registered
I'm curious, but beyond the basic mill, what did you add? I'm talking about attachments to the mill, not tooling. I consider a keyed or keyless chuck and collet set to be part of the mill since you cannot do much without them, but the items I've listed below are not mandatory to use the milling machine.

I think a DRO, power feeds on x,y, and z axes, as well as a power drawbar are all very nice, but add around $2000 - 2500 to the cost of the mill. Any other attachments, customizations that you have added?

If you bought your mill with a DRO or some of the items I mentioned above installed by the vendor (if you don't have a PM), please mention this.

Oh, just a few. LOL. Some are described on this thread:

You can find my build log (4 pages long) here:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmzDiT4t

List mine here.....

I got a PM833TV and had PM install a DRO for me -- I probably would do this myself if I had to do it again. I continued to improve it for my use and added a mains switch, a quill stop and quill DRO as well as a spindle brake and power draw bar. Not sure if the fogbuster meets your criteria for an attachment. I am still missing better illumination and some improved chip guards. None of the above are mandatory but conveniences and, especially for the shop made ones, greatly add to my enjoyment while using the mill.

I purchased a PM932M about 3 years ago. I did a complete review of that on this forum. I bought a keyless chuck, DRO, power down feed and crossfeed power feed with the mill. All of those things make the mill much more pleasant to use and increases your efficiency greatly. Since that time I have added a power draw bar, which is the best thing I could have done, changing tools is much faster now. I also replaced the small quill DRO with a glass scale with a summing module so it displays on the main DRO, much easier than looking at the little LCD. I believe all of those are documented on the forum too. I also added mist coolant and I have plans to install a one-shot oiler when I get time. Kind of like a jet engine on bi-plane now I guess....

When I bought my PM-835a couple yeas ago, I ordered it with a factory installed 3-axis DRO, as well as a power drawbar. I then swapped the original motor out for a 3-phase and added a VFD. Finally, I kludged a drill adapter for use as a "powered" knee lift (post #22):

Bumping this thread since I'm thinking the same...

What is everyone's thoughts on the various mill vices, power feed devices, and misc pieces?

Having done a lot more reading and posting more questions re my quest for a benchtop mill, I've modified my needs (if not necessarily my wants) mostly based on cost. Since tooling easily doubles the cost of a machine, (and more over time), reducing the accessories up front (attachments to the mill) gives me more money for tooling, and I can always add these later. Usage is important. I'll use my mill for things I want to make...projects. This is not an all consuming hobby for me. I'm a woodworker, and I fix/repair a lot of things around the house, I'm physically active, and have many other interests that take my time. I will rarely use the mill every day of the week.
Vise - might as well bite the bullet and get a good one. A member here told me he made a pattern of the footprint of a 6" Kurt vise and put that on his mill. He thought it was too large so he bought a 4". I think that's an outstanding idea unless you need the larger capacity of the 6". Other good brands (from other threads here) Glacern, Homge, PM's is 'pretty decent', Teco, Tegara. A lot of folks here recommend a 5" min size.
Power feeds - depends on your usage. I wanted power feeds because it gives you a better finish cut and the tedium of hand cranking. However, thinking about how I'd use my machine, the X-axis power feed is all I realistically need (for a benchtop mill). A power lift for the head - for me would also be very nice...mostly because of rotator cuff issues. Y-axis - travel is not great enough to need power feed. Power quill - same as Y. Benchtop mills do not have knees so no Z power. Drawbar - Same gentleman showed me how he had adapted his drill chuck with a 1/2" shaft so it fits in his 1/2" collet. Another good idea.
DRO‬‬‬ - Having used one, it is not a necessity (old timers machined for years without these) but it makes layout and the work a lot easier. Sure there is a learning curve, but I still want one. And, since I'm still a novice I'd want a digital read out on rpms, too.
Tooling - collets, parallels, measuring tools, V blocks, clamps, etc. will get the money I was thinking of putting into a drawbar, and y axis power feeds. AND, lets not leave out milling cutters of various sizes.
Misc. - Let's not forget a stand, drill chuck(s), leveling feet, machine oil, and all the other mods that some guys like Mr. Best have suggested (see post 2). I'd add that I suspect he is not an avid rock climber spending days on El Cap's faces emulating Alex Honnold.

I will add that were I considering a full size knee mill, I'd want all the stuff I decided are optional for a benchtop mill. A full sized mill would have a much larger budget of necessity, and what would be made on one would demand a more varied array of tooling.

I set up my PM-30MV mill in June. I bought it with the factory-installed DRO, base cabinet with leveling legs, the X-axis power feed (for user installation), and Homge 5" "ultra-precision" vise, along with collets, drill chuck, boring head, and some other tooling. The main additional accesory that I've subsequently acquired is a Vertex 6" H/V Rotary Table. I've also added some flex arm lights on mag bases. A ring light around the spindle nose is a project I might look into. Other things I am contemplating adding at some point are a power feed for raising and lowering the head (z-axis), and a quill depth stop. A y-axis power feed would be nice, but is a much lower priority. I don't think I need a power drawbar...

I set up my PM-30MV mill in June. I bought it with the factory-installed DRO, base cabinet with leveling legs, the X-axis power feed (for user installation), and Homge 5" "ultra-precision" vise, along with collets, drill chuck, boring head, and some other tooling. The main additional accesory that I've subsequently acquired is a Vertex 6" H/V Rotary Table. I've also added some flex arm lights on mag bases. A ring light around the spindle nose is a project I might look into. Other things I am contemplating adding at some point are a power feed for raising and lowering the head (z-axis), and a quill depth stop. A y-axis power feed would be nice, but is a much lower priority. I don't think I need a power drawbar..

That sounds like a nice setup. I have a vertex 10" RT, nice piece of equipment.

Back