What are you listening to right now?

I learned to ignore the ringing, but I've always been fascinated by the fact that even though it seem deafening at times, it actually doesn't keep me from hearing quiet noises. It just seems like it should. It's high-pitched, multi-toned, and I can't even remember what it's like not to have it.
I think it's from working in computer rooms for many years with all the loud A/C and machine noises. I don't play music all that loud.

That said, I've really been on a heavy metal sort of kick lately. In This Moment, Five Finger Death Punch, Pretty Reckless, Halestorm, etc.

I have done noise analysis in server rooms, and found sound pressure levels approaching 90 dBA in the upper frequencies from the fans and forced air cooling under the floor. It is often overlooked because it is not perceived as hazardous industrial noise- it's a desk job, but a career of all day, every day exposure to anything over 85 dBA has been well documented to cause occupational hearing loss.

I used a mic-calibrated eq in my shop stereo so I can boost the frequencies I want to hear in my heavy metal, and I sacrilegiously use an expander processor to spread the sound across the spectrum in a full, rich, and very satanic thrumming vibe. I headbang at the handwheels, it's really important for maintaining focus and timing with my crippling hereditary scatterbrain syndrome.

If I turn up volume, ringing gets louder until I can’t take it anymore

Chuck
I can still drowned mine out. I got use to being in the design bull pin and having head phones on, folks would say how do you work while listening to the music and my answer is, the music is a steady distraction and I have learned to ignore steady distractions, I tune it out. Its the folks walking through ever 10 or 15 minutes and sporadic noise and conversations, non-steady distractions which I cannot seem to tune out which cause me issues. The ringing in my ears is a steady distraction, 90% of the time I tune it out....

Back