What Did You Buy Today?

I noticed you have a Jeep Gladiator. We've had a 04 TJ going on 20 years. I love it for off roading, but it seems a bit rough riding on the paved roads. Have you ever used yours off road, and if so how did you like it? We often go to Moab Utah and Telluride Colorado for off roading excursions. I like the idea of a better ride on the road but am afraid the increased size and weight might be a disadvantage in the back country.

To put things in perspective the odometer shows just short of 70,000 miles. In reality it has closer to 200,000 miles on the chassis. It has been towed 130,000 or more behind our motorhomes. In all the time we've had it it's been mechanically excellent. Other than needing some body work after being rear ended (while being towed at 65 mph down the interstate) all it's needed is normal maintenance. We've been more than happy with it but have heard some of the newer models aren't quite so trouble free.

Here are a couple pictures of it sitting in the local Ford dealership parking lot awaiting a service appointment.

Attachments

• Jorgensen,_Tim_Image_6[1].jpg
    Jorgensen,_Tim_Image_6[1].jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 8
  • Jorgensen,_Tim_Image_1[1].jpg
    Jorgensen,_Tim_Image_1[1].jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 8
I noticed you have a Jeep Gladiator. We've had a 04 TJ going on 20 years. I love it for off roading, but it seems a bit rough riding on the paved roads. Have you ever used yours off road, and if so how did you like it? We often go to Moab Utah and Telluride Colorado for off roading excursions. I like the idea of a better ride on the road but am afraid the increased size and weight might be a disadvantage in the back country.

To put things in perspective the odometer shows just short of 70,000 miles. In reality it has closer to 200,000 miles on the chassis. It has been towed 130,000 or more behind our motorhomes. In all the time we've had it it's been mechanically excellent. Other than needing some body work after being rear ended (while being towed at 65 mph down the interstate) all it's needed is normal maintenance. We've been more than happy with it but have heard some of the newer models aren't quite so trouble free.

Here are a couple pictures of it sitting in the local Ford dealership parking lot awaiting a service appointment.
Taking it off-road!! Are you insane!!?? And get it dirty!!?? Heck no!! I have dirt in a bag that I use for when I want others to think that I used it for off-roading. :D :D :D

All joking aside... have not had the chance to do real off-roading with it. I have taken it to the Ocala National Forest trails... that is about it... It gets used mostly as a truck. Even if the bed is small, it works for what I need it for.

I have to say, it rides nicely with the factory suspension.

Went to a estate auction Saturday and was the lone bidder on this. Missing the vice but it will give me something to work on.
What machine is it? I had one similar, and traded it off a few years ago. Sort of wishing I hadn't...

Taking it off-road!! Are you insane!!?? And get it dirty!!?? Heck no!! I have dirt in a bag that I use for when I want others to think that I used it for off-roading. :D :D :D
Had the chance to take my S-10 Blazer (4WD, 2.6L, 5 Speed) for a drive shortly after it came off the carrier and before the delivery prep: a good buddy ragged me for not going rogue with it since someone else would have to clean it.

Had the chance to take my S-10 Blazer (4WD, 2.6L, 5 Speed) for a drive shortly after it came off the carrier and before the delivery prep: a good buddy ragged me for not going rogue with it since someone else would have to clean it.
Be glad you didn’t. You never know what the factory might have missed at the assembly or what might have been removed or sabatoged on the way to the dealership.

I’ve seen new cars off the truck missing catalytic converters, radiators, lug nuts, shift linkage and a host of other things. It was obvious most of the damage was done while the cars were either on a train or transport. It would be hard to get a car from the assembly line to the transport if it was missing a tire

What needs doing to them?

I'm just trying to learn how to maintain and rehab my new toys.

i've never had dial indicators before. some of them seem kind of sticky. they're all a bit dirty. most of them are mechanical, but some of the Federal indicators are electronic/digital.

Does it work better than a ruler? You know, a small steel scale captured between the workpiece and the cutting tip. If it's vertical, the tip is on center. Tipped away, too high, tipped towards you, too low. I love tools, but is it any better than a simple 150mm scale?
I Believe it is, it lets you set the tool height more accurately.

Back