What Did You Buy Today?

As you probably know, my LSS sells by the pound for sheet, pipe, bar and the like. Length, girth & wall thickness add up fast.

Please define "LSS". :dunno:

Relative to full retail, it seems that your $50 cost was a great deal.

I scored a belt sander. (free) Thanks Guy!
Went to Napa next door, grabbed new bearings, I need to mount the motor....
I think this little dolly is going to be handy as hell.

Yup, some major suckage going on here.

Bosch D-Tect 120 wall scanner.

Not really machining related, but still a nice tool

566e03fe4f6e6b7f3e829d2f52ed73ad.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's just nuts. Does anyone else get the feeling we are being bent over by corporate America taking advantage of the pandemic.
Lumber, 1/2" OSB use to be $7-$10. Home Depot wants $37 for 7/16"
Building a home in Northern CA costs >$300 a Sq. foot.
I got a bid to install 2 doors and 5 windows in a school portable type building. $52,000.
I was thinking $8,000-$10,000.
Yes, things are nuts. Absolutely nuts.
My wife wants to remodel the bathroom. Not a good time.

I got a bid to install 2 doors and 5 windows in a school portable type building. $52,000.
i can get it for $15 a sheet at lowes. lag bolts cost about $7 a piece. i like tractor supply for bolts and fastens.

With us retiring in July of 2022, I am a bit worried that prices on mfg homes and steel buildings will have escalated beyond my budget. Still looking for the land, but it is a balancing act. If the home cost more, I can afford less land and so on. Land is going fast with all the Californians fleeing the state to Oregon. Still pieces pop up now and then. The ones that have been on the market for awhile, well, there is a reason.

With us retiring in July of 2022, I am a bit worried that prices on mfg homes and steel buildings will have escalated beyond my budget. Still looking for the land, but it is a balancing act. If the home cost more, I can afford less land and so on. Land is going fast with all the Californians fleeing the state to Oregon. Still pieces pop up now and then. The ones that have been on the market for awhile, well, there is a reason.
There are so many references to Californians leaving the state and the mass exodus of businesses moving out.
You would think the Governor and those in power, would make it a more business friendly place but not a chance.
Homes go for a very high price, people take their bag of money and elevate the values of surrounding states by paying too much for your land PaPa.
Retiring is exciting and scary at the same time.
Can we afford it?
I've been investing for a long time in a strong market (paying too much for shares)
In a perfect world, stocks and funds go up in the retirement years :)

Menards in Lansing, MI, $25.32 a sheet with the 11% rebate. I did my shop walls in 7/16 OSB probably 20 years ago. Paid $7.50 a sheet for 40 sheets. I usually use 2 x 4 x 8' prices as a quick judge of current rates. I recall them being $2 a stick. Spotted owls were endangered in OR or WA when we built our house in 1993. I recall the lumber package including $2.70 2 x 4 x 92 5/8" pre-cuts. Just checked our local Menards: $6 a pop. Any idea what's got lumber prices so high? Some internet articles (reliable sources?) says it's because mills were shut down early in the pandemic but big-box stores were open. DIY'ers were home doing projects and used up the lumber supply. Prices are expected to drop once supply catches up with demand.

Bruce

1614269348959.png

Back