What do I have here?

Actually, I used to do that - far to much :) but now that I am gainfully unemployed (AKA retired) much less so, and not in this case as I have been feeding the race-car monster!

To be clear, this was just the tip of the ice-berg. There were also 100's of gear hobbs, mandrels, etc which is what I was interested in since that is on my 'to learn' list!

I may find that this will be one of those 'that got away'...

Ray

I may find that this will be one of those 'that got away'...
I’m one of those long plan with lots of research guys. So as I was trying to figure out what exactly I needed for my machining needs I went to an estate sale. This guy it turns out was a world renowned racing boat engine head designer and maker.

When I noticed a small indexer and rotary table on display the son took me back in his dads shop. Most of the shop was gone but he had his tooling cabinet left. It was 4’x3’x8’L full of drawers. I pulled the first one out and it was full of mill bits of every size. The next was full of drill bits and on and on..there was thousands of $$’s of tooling of every type in there. The son just wanted it gone and wanted $500. And here I was just getting a clue and didn’t even have a mill and a lathe yet.

My wonderful wife kept saying we’ve GOT to get it and all I could think of was how in the world would we move it, and where would I put it. I would have never had to buy a single bit of tooling ever. DOH!

That is my biggest regret and taught me how it seems my lot that as I pick a direction stuff shows up and it’s usually out of sync and I’m not “ready”, but I don’t pass on them now.

Back