What job did you do today in your shop?

JOSHUAZ2, that looks good!

I could not be in the shop todayas I was on a road trip down state and back. But in my travels I did some good for the shop. See I was getting tired of sitting and I saw a resale/fleemarket, so I stopped to look around. Well $13.00 latter I was walking out of there with a hand full of small tools. like a small machinist clamp, 7/16 carbide endmill, #2 center drill, 2 good files. 3 taps. and 2 brand new with plastic dip on them keyseat cutters. Some times you can find good stuff this way. Normaly I do not find macinist tools but I do find a lot of good tool this way.

I machined the last of my SS lapping plates to fit my lapping machine. To fit on the rotating table the round plates need to have a 5" x .180" recess machined in the back. It was the toughest material I have ever machined, but I suppose that you wouldn't want a lapping plate to melt away like butter on a hot day. I have attached a couple pictures. One with a plate finished machining in the lathe and the other of my lapping machine. I added a reversing sw. to the machine so I can reverse it for knife sharpening etc. In the picture it has wet sandpaper on the lap (adhered by 3M spray on adhesive. Sorry for the orientation of the pictures - they were OK on my camera.
Michael
)IMG_0222.JPGIMG_0221.JPG

IMG_0221.JPG IMG_0222.JPG

Started making six sets of exhaust flanges for Kawasaki Triples

Finished, they'll look like this
DCP_6280-1.jpg

DCP_6280-1.jpg

DCP_6280-1.jpg

Not much machining happening yet, but just finished running conduit, 10 guage wire, and 220 and 120 along the walls!! 8D

Finally have machines running again!!! 8)

Bernie

My intent was to spend the day in the shop but I got a call yesterday from a friend of mine , he asked me to come over today to watch over him; he is 86 years young and just had a 3 way bipass, so plans changed. I did though spend a short time putzing in the shop; I had purchased welding tools, gloves and misc items so I unwraped and put items away, cleaned up some of my mess in the shop and called it a day. Next time in the shop is Sunday, hopefully.

Was a totally non glorious day in the shop ..... I cleaned up all the lathe curlies, swept the floor, cleaned the bed and lubed the ways until running the carriage back and forth didnt leave any blackish marks. Then being bored I cut 12 plates (1 1/2" x 3") from some 1/4" stock to make bolt plates for the bottom of some rod iron fencing I dug out of the scrap yard (wife wants a rod iron fence in the front with two gates, and the cost of scrap sections was right for me lol).

Have to wait for Monday to grab a 1/2" thrust bearing and plate to fix up the mill AGAIN ..... and this time put a 4 handle speed wheel (going to make one) with a nice visible dial to show Z travel.

Well, I finally finished my Mash Tun, Hot liquor Tank, and Boil Kettle plumbing. Had to drill a precision hole near the bottom of each and install a leak resistant bulkhead fitting and add various valves, strainers and dip tubes to manage the fluid. I also added a 1/2 Type D camlock disconect fitting to each connection to accomodate the pump if gravity needs a little help. Planning to work on the three tier brew launcher tommorrow. Wiring and designing the control system is ongoing.....

Bob

A friend of mine who works in a warehouse, brought a streach wrap roller by. It is a unit that lets one wrap a pallet of merchandise. The problem he was having is the thrust washer/bushing would freeze up and tear the shrinkwrap before the wraping job was complete. I installed some nylon washers he brought, and polished the galls out of the bushing. I had to sandwich the nylon between two steel washers that needed polishing. Hes gonna try the whole thing out on Monday, and said if it worked right, he had a dozen more to repair.

Replaced the bearings in the idler roller on my 2" belt sander/grinder. It was a relatively uneventful job with the usual creative use of sockets and other "found tools" for pulling and pushing. Played a bit on the lathe with the 4 jaw and indicator trying to get a diecast step pulley dialed in. This is an odd step pulley with a messed up bore. I plan to bore it out oversize and press in a bushing. I don't have a boring bar small enough but it's on order. I'm sure a real machinist would have had it dialed in in a couple of minutes, I hate to admit how much time I screwed around with that. :phew:

Back