What job did you do today in your shop?

That's standard on any clutch job. Pilots are cheap, throw out bearings get abused if you leave it in gear at stop lights.

Thank you Charles,

Both bearings were replaced when I put in the new Mitchell synromesh transmission upgrade 3 years ago. I will probably just replace them again.

I had checked the clutch at that time and it looked okay. Unfortunately the pressure plate springs and fingers were about at their end of life. I did not have the resources at that time to rebuild and or replace the pressure plate. So it went back together and we drove it.

However it has come to the time to replace the clutch and pressure plate.

Live and learn I guess.

I am now trying to decide if I need to resurface the flywheel prior to replacing clutch and pressure plate.

I've got a lot of polished flywheel surface, little to no groove wear from the clutch plate on the flywheel surface.

20240422_143903.jpg
20240422_143912.jpg

Most of the clutch wear is on the pressure surface surface as shown in this picture.
20240422_144009.jpg

Rick

I think the issue here is the worn pressure plate. The shifting was always problematic in this car. It was my in-laws car and I am now trying to get it into proper mechanical shape. It's been 35 years since the original rebuild so there is a lot to go through.

Clutch and pressure plate are just the beginning.

Rick

The JD project is moving along . New carb is installed . Entire tractor stripped and ready for touch up where needed . Deck looks good and any rust will be removed and primed then painted . The lower cowl has some minor cracks as usual . A new cowl is around $275 . When I get her running I'll make that decision if this is a keeper or a road sale tractor . These Deeres are a PITA compared to the old Cubs .

Cut up all my extra 6" x 6"s for horse shoe pits out back . Another retirement project that was put off for years . :grin:

Sent the USPS any and all information for the $1200 insurance claim for the 3rd time ! Bunch of feet dragging A holes they are . I'll never insure anything thru this friggin organization again . Next step will be the Inspector General if needed .

The JD project is moving along . New carb is installed . Entire tractor stripped and ready for touch up where needed . Deck looks good and any rust will be removed and primed then painted . The lower cowl has some minor cracks as usual . A new cowl is around $275 . When I get her running I'll make that decision if this is a keeper or a road sale tractor . These Deeres are a PITA compared to the old Cubs .

Cut up all my extra 6" x 6"s for horse shoe pits out back . Another retirement project that was put off for years . :grin:

Sent the USPS any and all information for the $1200 insurance claim for the 3rd time ! Bunch of feet dragging A holes they are . I'll never insure anything thru this friggin organization again . Next step will be the Inspector General if needed .
you know the old saying.. It didn't happen without pics.

Back